Author Topic: Does Your Dog(s) Sleep in Your Bed?  (Read 4181 times)

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Does Your Dog(s) Sleep in Your Bed?
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:14:33 AM »
According to these articles it can be both dangerous to your health and detrimental to a good nights sleep.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/20/letting-sleeping-dogs-lie-in-your-bed-can-kill-you/
http://www.everydayhealth.com/pet-health/allowing-dogs-in-bed.aspx

I can only call bs on the latter, as for hygiene, meh... I just wash my sheets a bit more frequently than most people.

Ironically, that full list of inappropriate behaviors that a dog may display while in your bed... yep, you guessed it, my guys are guilty of every one. Often they play, wrestle, argue, nibble toes, pounce on the mattress, and dig at the sheets on a nightly basis, granted this behavior does cease after about thirty minutes as they wind down to go to sleep.

I've found that I sleep better with them than I do without them, just the night before I was sore and felt like hell from getting to bed late. As for this morning, I feel ten times better, the reason? All of my girls decided that last night was as good a night as any to mush me between them and cuddle. I had one dog at my back, one at my fore side, and one on my feet, not the most comfortable thing for most people but I love it, especially when I'm so warm from all the dog cuddles that I don't even need a blanket.

So, out of curiosity, who else here likes to share their bed with their furry beast(s)? Is there any particular reason?
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: Does Your Dog(s) Sleep in Your Bed?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:33:56 AM »
My cats sleep with me. I definitely lose sleep when the female joins me (pretty much every night of my life) because she feels the need to sleep under the covers with me, and picks up the edge of the blanket closest to my head to accomplish that goal.

I think it's pretty cute though, and is a comforting confirmation that she is with me, and is choosing to be with me.

Also, I for sure have more sleep loss when I sleep with my human companion, so I'm not really worried about it.  ;)

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:42:48 AM »
I grew up with my cat sleeping in my bed. She had a pillow all to  herself. Now, we've got ferrets and rats so no animals in the bed but, personally, I think the benefits outweigh the risks. This is one of those articles that makes me roll my eyes a little so maybe I'm a little biased? I don't know.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »
Dogs are not allowed in my building (which is why I got my rats, actually), but I can't imagine not letting the dog(s) sleep with me!

My dachshund Heidi, when my sister and I were kids, would start out sleeping with me (for some reason, she preferred to be under the covers at my feet--I have no idea how she managed to breathe), then she would want to do her business in the middle of the night (I usually had to, as well), and when she came back in the house would go sleep with my sister for the rest of the night.  It worked very well for all three of us.

When I dog-sit, I always let the dog sleep with me, if it wants to.  There's nothing like cuddling up with a warm, furry body, even in the summertime!

Don't think I'll even bother to check out those links, whatever they might have to say . . .
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  3m3f19r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:32:52 PM »

'Nuff said

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »
Man, you can get run over by a truck crossing the street. The sun causes cancer. Half the food we eat regularly has been recalled at one time or another. Undercooked chicken causes salmonella. Let's not getting started on the ozone layer, preservatives, pesticides, and steroids in meats.

Every year, there's more and more things that are gonna kill me. There's no WAY I'm ever kicking my dog out of my bed, she's the only thing that helps me sleep at all. Before I got her, I'd be lucky to sleep an hour or so at a time. I have horrible issues with parasomnia (Mostly night terrors and associated hallucinations.). I now managed to get between 4-6 hours of sleep every night. Granted, it's usually not without me waking up a few times, but I do SLEEP.

My girl lays in front of me and I spoon her with my arm over her and her head on my shoulder. She's about 15 pounds and we've been sleeping this way since she was four weeks old.

My mum's old man dog sleeps next to her and he'll be 11 next month. The cats come and go, but don't sleep next to our faces. I'm sure we track just as many germs into the sheets as they do.  ::)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:55:24 PM »
Diver dog sleeps under the covers, usually right behind my knees. Then the kitties sleep in  various places all around him, and usually on top of me. I don't think I would have it any other way.

It's usually not a problem, until recently but that's only because the big belly gets in the way of EVERYTHING!
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline couturepins

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:59:02 PM »
Growing up, I always had at least one of my dogs in my bed. Nowadays, my dog and my mom's two dogs spend the day snoozing on my bed (effectively taking it completely over!). At night, my boy sleeps in a crate because he'll eat things during the night otherwise  :doh: I can't wait until he can sleep in the bed with me, though. He's a super cuddler! :yelcutelaugh:

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 08:46:51 AM »
With all of these positive responses I'd have to assume that these articles were written by germaphobes that don't like canine cuddles. :yelcutelaugh:

Besides the most 'dangerous' thing about sleeping with dogs is the morning after. My pups tend to 'threaten' me in a variety of ways every morning to try and get me to wake up faster, and in turn begin preparing their breakfast sooner.

My youngest, and greenest sleeping partner, will usually stand on my chest and grunt whilst attempting to flop over on her side atop my face. If she fails in her attempt to suffocate me then my second youngest will crawl onto the sliver of bed to my right and kiss me repeatedly until I either rise or scootch back and drag her up to cuddle. As for my eldest, she is six years old and will often grumble at the young and impatient without moving from her pillow, she knows darn well that if don't wanna get up I'm not getting up.  :yelcutelaugh:

Such quirky beasts dogs are.

Offline bleedingheart

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 05:30:10 PM »
My kitties sleep with me, but the dogs aren't allowed. Sometimes when I'm awake, I let them come up to snuggle me, but when I try to sleep they wrestle around, step on my hair, lay on me.... More than that though, for me it's a training aid. Only people are allowed on the furniture, unless I give them permission. It helps cement the alpha status. I have young dogs who are still learning... and breeds that without a solid idea of the pack structure can be destructive.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 06:57:29 PM »
My kitties sleep with me, but the dogs aren't allowed. Sometimes when I'm awake, I let them come up to snuggle me, but when I try to sleep they wrestle around, step on my hair, lay on me.... More than that though, for me it's a training aid. Only people are allowed on the furniture, unless I give them permission. It helps cement the alpha status. I have young dogs who are still learning... and breeds that without a solid idea of the pack structure can be destructive.

I suppose that's one way to look at it.... though I'm not really one who believes in that sort of training.

I'm more into positive reinforcement, personally, and thus far have gained superior results in comparison to traditional dog training methods. I think you should look in to positive reinforcement, it's less stressful on both the dog and the owner and concepts tend to click with the animal a lot faster using positive reinforcement.

Positive reinforcement doesn't mean that you have to share your bed with your dogs, it's just a different training method. In fact several trainers of positive reinforcement discourage humans from allowing their pets onto their beds, but their warm furry cuddles are just too tempting for me to refuse. lol

Mine have only basic manners when it comes to the furniture, they get off when I tell them to, they come up when asked, and they scoot over when requested, otherwise they do as they please and I have an extra sheet to wash at the end of the week. ::) There minimal training when it comes to furniture is my own preference though, they could stand to know a bit more (such as not to muss up the sheet and uncover the couch whilst they wrestle and squeal like banshees).

Offline bleedingheart

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 07:11:51 PM »
I actually do use positive reinforcement training for almost everything. :) There's just a few things, like not being allowed on the furniture unless permitted, and having to sit for their food bowls, and not being petted unless all four paws are on the ground, that I use as consistent rules to build their world around. A foundation, but definitely not negative, or punishment based. My boys still get to cuddle.  ;)
But, I should add, the primary reason for measures like these is that I didn't get my older boy til he was 6 months old, and due to lack of socialization and some abuse, he had some resource guarding issues. I love him with all my heart, but even when I'm inconsistent with other things, those few things remind him that Mommy is always in charge, and won't stand for guarding aggression.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:19:14 PM by bleedingheart »

Offline slynx

• Posts Too Much!
    • Maya's blog
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 07:56:21 PM »
I didn't read the articles (sorry, I am lazy).  But I'm guessing these refer to the study the CDC published a year or two ago about zoonotic disease transmission.  If I recall, the study had some methodological problems -- like they included a ton of anecdotal "evidence" of animals giving people diseases.  The problem with that is that if some woman tells you that (a) she got meningitis and (b) she kisses her dog a lot, it doesn't actually mean she caught it from the dog (who else is she kissing a lot?).  They also included things like the instance where a kid in NM caught bubonic plague from its cat as evidence of the hazards of pet ownership.  I mean, it is indisputable that pets can transmit diseases to humans, but it's not like every pet cat lives in the middle of an outbreak of bubonic plague...it's a little alarmist to generalize a conclusion like "pets are bad for our health" based on specific situations like that. 

Mind you, our dog mostly doesn't sleep in bed with us.  When she does, we get less sleep and wake up with sore backs...just not enough room for everyone to stretch like they need to.  It doesn't help that she weighs seventy pounds awake but somehow increases to seven hundred pounds at night -- impossible to shift.  She sleeps comfortably in her crate and all is well.

Except for naps, obviously.  Naptime is for everyone.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 08:04:28 PM »
I actually do use positive reinforcement training for almost everything. :) There's just a few things, like not being allowed on the furniture unless permitted, and having to sit for their food bowls, and not being petted unless all four paws are on the ground, that I use as consistent rules to build their world around. A foundation, but definitely not negative, or punishment based. My boys still get to cuddle.  ;)
But, I should add, the primary reason for measures like these is that I didn't get my older boy til he was 6 months old, and due to lack of socialization and some abuse, he had some resource guarding issues. I love him with all my heart, but even when I'm inconsistent with other things, those few things remind him that Mommy is always in charge, and won't stand for guarding aggression.

Thank you for the explanation, your original post had made it difficult for me to ascertain your training preferences. Sorry if I came off a bit preachy. lol

I can definitely relate when it comes to resource guarding issues, I'm lucky I was able to scoop up my pups at a month old before any serious behavioral problems could set in from the horrid conditions they were being kept in. And even at that age the most severe of my three was my young boy who would draw blood when minimally frustrated or to protect just a single kibble of food. By the end he was a giant love bug, sadly, he was euthanized soon after being struck by a car on the 24th of November. His sisters are doing just as wonderfully as he was, they were a bit snappy at first, but now that they've grown s bit they could really careless if another dog snatches a few kibbles of their dinner.

It's really astounding what a bit of love and patience can do, isn't it?

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 08:08:26 PM »
It doesn't help that she weighs seventy pounds awake but somehow increases to seven hundred pounds at night -- impossible to shift.

I know what you mean, the night before last I woke up in the middle of the night to a 45 pound pup sprawled out on my hair, dastardly beast refused to move to, I had to convince her sister to get up and help me nudge her off. :yelcutelaugh:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:12:37 PM by HowlsOfAngels »

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »
i wouldn't kick my dogs out of my bed. Even if some reporter said it was causing the world to end. I wouldn't make my kids sleep on some thin pillow like bed on the floor, why make my dogs?
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow
Ratatta
Rat 1 (who never had a name :/ )
Oreo
Ruby
Martha
Razzle
Mary

Offline A_STEW

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 03:46:41 AM »
My 60lb 8 month old basset pup Lincoln definitely sleeps in my bed. It started out simply because I couldn't trust him to sleep on the floor alone and he outgrew his large crate at an incredibly rapid rate. Fast forward a few months and I couldn't imagine him not being on the bed. He literally jumps up, goes to his "side" and goes to sleep. I only hear from him if he wants out. I get up each morning to feed him at 5, then we go back to bed haha.  It helps that I'm single and therefore don't sleep beside any humans, but if that day comes I'll just transition the dog to sleeping on the couch, like our last basset did. We do have a 100% no licking policy in my house though. I literally can't stand it..and these articles seem to attribute that more to the spread of disease than actually sharing a bed.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:49:21 AM by A_STEW »

Offline Daydreaming07

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 01:35:23 AM »
My 40 lb aussie mix sleeps in her crate or on a blanket next to our bed but she is a strange dog and doesn't like being on the bed at all.  She will occasionally get on the couch but only if she is invited and only if she can have her own corner spot  ::)
Doodle the 11 lb bichon loves to sleep in the bed with me. He lays stretched out beside me on top of the blankets. Though he is only allowed on the furniture if he has been invited first. This is our rule for any dog in our house.

Now the cats are allowed on the bed anytime they please.

Offline Lynke

• <3
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 09:04:57 PM »
I had a gigantic rotweiler/shepard mix and she used to sleep/hog the bed with me... she lost privlages when she decided my gerbil needed to be barked at all night e_e but my cats and dogs usually sleep with me if they so choose. I was blessed with a gigantic orange cat who would sleep on my feet every night as a child :)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 10:16:49 PM »
I literaly got kicked out of bed by my dog and the cats yesterday. I was sleeping and suddenly I was falling on to the floor. I was able to catch myself so I didn't hit the ground (and the bed is pretty close to the ground to begin with) I ended up sleeping on the couch because the creatures (Diver, Maxwell, Curry, and Hallie) were all getting along for once and curled up together in the middle of the bed. I didn't have the heart to move them.
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline BreezyPitBull

• Rat Girl
    • Key to a Rat's Heart Rescue
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 06:44:37 PM »
My bed isn't big enough!  :( I had to down size from a queen to a twin, which my dogs are not happy about!

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 01:29:32 AM »
My boys usually hang out in bed for a bit for cuddles, and sometimes even fall asleep there for awhile (Wolfgang likes to sleep on my pillow and snore in my ear), but they almost always end up in their own beds before morning.

Bo is very affectionate but has never been much of a cuddler at bedtime.  He took to sleeping in a basket of my dirty laundry and I got tired of kicking him out of it, so I got him his own basket, draped a blanket over it, popped a pillow in, and stuck it in a cozy corner.  Codee tried to sleep in it a few times but has since given up.

Codee and Wolfgang are total momma's boys.  This is what my side of the bed looks like...

Codee would take up the whole bed if we let him, but I'm a grump and don't play around when it comes to bedtime.  If he starts hogging space he gets kicked to the floor.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:36:11 AM by eyohkay »

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »
My fiance didn't like it at first, but he quickly learned to get use to having the animals sleep in our bed.  ;)  My basset hound does not like to be away from me and with him being over 12, I treasure every day I still get with him, too.  The border collie comes and goes as she pleases, simply because of lack of room.  They do know the bed is for sleeping at night, though.  No playing or chewing bones in bed.

The only annoying one, actually, is Happy Cat.  He likes his breakfast nice and early. At least he now he waits until my alarm goes off and then assumes we'll be getting right up to feed him.

For the health/germ aspect, our sheets and blankets are changed out and washed at least once a week.  Everything in the house gets cleaned as often as possible.  Cleaning/disinfecting regularly is just a fact of everyday life when you have animals.  And of course, they get their vet visits to make sure everybody is healthy and parasite free.

No worries here.  ;)
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
  • once upon a time my heart got stolen by rats
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 10:19:37 PM »
We used to sleep with 4 rats in the bed. When they passed away - and after 10 years of sleeping with rats in the bed - we decided it was time to have sheets without any holes for more than a week, and an intact comforter. It has been almost two years now that we have not had any rats in bed with us, and I've had sleeping issues.

Our dog does not sleep with us in bed because he is 14 years old and our bed is too high. I am scared that he would fall off. Our dog likes to be close to us but he is not all huggy touchy feely at all times. He is very affectionate but when bedtime comes around, he sprawls out on his bed. He has two posturpedic beds with built-in pillows. One is in the living room, one is in the bedroom. I don't think he would want to sleep in bed with us. His beds are more comfortable.  :yelcutelaugh:
Currently owned by Jasper,Gopher,Anabelle+Anastasia,Donut+Vivian+Franklin+Guido+Round1+Round2 babies, Dot+Orca,Marie+Rene+Nicola,Libbie,Annie,Melanie+Espresso (rats).Velvet+Dancer (bunnies).Porcellina+Skunk (pigs).Cercira (hamster) and Bandit (dog).
Our angels in heaven, we will always love you!

Offline E-marie

• Love my girls! <3
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »
My dog, honestly, hates the bed. In the morning though when she Crazy Dog (Almost literally bouncing off the walls) She'll occasionally wake up my parents, by jumping on their heads. Anyway, Bella prefers the ground.
Lilly, Shadow RIP Daisy, Star, Peanut, Amber, Ruby

Offline thejamiemarie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 11:42:37 AM »
My cats sleep in bed with me, but my dog sleeps in her crate next to me. Denali does not like to cuddle at all. She hates being touched while she sleeps and with me and my fiance also in the bed she isn't able to get enough room to herself to make her happy. ::)
Mama to...
2 cats: Ophelia and Ichabod
1 dog: a Husky pup Denali
1 corn snake: Persephone

R.I.P
Ruby <3
Lilith <3
Scarlet<3
Grace<3
Peanut<3
May<3
Chai<3

I am currently ratless =(

Offline lovemypayne

• My Pets On Parade
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 10:10:07 AM »
Payne doesn't sleep in our bed but she does sleep in our daughters' bed EVERY night, and naps there during the day. Also our 9 year old kitty "Littleman" sleeps with her a lot, depending on the weather.
There are times I go in to wake her in the morning and the first words out of her mouth are: "I can't move", lol. They will have her pinned under the covers, and Payne is by no means a 'little' dog.
She wouildn't have it any other way. There are the rare occasions [extremely warm nights] when Payne prefers not to sleep in bed, and my daughter doesn't sleep worth a crap.
When Littleman [our cat] sleeps with her he likes to put his paw on her face. While she doesn't like the being woke up part, she LOVES the subtle signs of affection, so in her world "It's all good!!"......even when they don't share the covers.
I am always telling her we're going to have to get her a bigger bed.

Note: In reference to an earlier post: Payne does sleep in our daughters' bed and she has access to it whenever she chooses. However, she NEVER gets on any of the other furniture in the house unless she is invited first. Simply no conflict or confusion there. :D
www.mypetsonparade.com

Where all pets are special!

(New members welcome and always appreciated!!)

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 10:53:16 PM »
All of my fur babies on my mother's bed.

I wish there was that much room left over on my own bed and that it was possible to take a picture of all of them on my bed, but the second I start moving they are up and ready to rumble (literally, they want to wrestle around the second they hear my voice in the mornings).

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »
Haha. My computer wouldn't let me on the website (it's so slow) but all I saw before it froze up was, "Letting sleeping dogs lie in your bed can kill you..." Dun,dun,dun,dun.... :eek:

My dog, Opie has always slept in my bed with me, even though he's got his own dog bed. Lately, he's taken to going under the covers and either curling up behind my legs, where they make a little spoon or when I'm lying in fetal position and him curled in the little "c" I make. So yeah, my dog and I spoon together at night. That's not weird.  :yelcutelaugh:
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not
himself find peace." - Albert Schweitzer

the kids:

Opie the beagle/jack russel
Kurt and Eddie the rats
Marilyn and Puck the ferrets