Author Topic: Has anybody ever used these as housing for dwarf hamsters?  (Read 2193 times)

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
Has anybody ever used these as housing for dwarf hamsters?
« on: December 06, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »
Im just curious if these are large enough to house dwarf hamsters in? I know people like bin cages for them so i was wondering if this would work to house multiple dwarfs in?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20699651?adid=22222222227015135486&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=17424527830&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline Rats_Red

• Rat mommy to 2 girls!!
    • Once Upon a Lop Rabbitry
Re: Has anybody ever used these as housing for dwarf hamsters?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:29:23 AM »
I would worry about them getting out via the top of each unless you created screen lids to fit each one..its a good idea though (:
Home to...
Rats: Rodger & Lillian
Buns: Murphy & Sebi. Maggie, Ripley, & Po
Cat: Romeo
Dog: Kodi
and 3 kids...18mo, 4.5, and 24!!

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »
I'm not familiar with the space requirements for dwarf hamsters, but if it's big enough, I don't see why that wouldn't work!
I know that PetSmart's use racks like that in their "quarantine" rooms (har har), and the hamsters don't get out unless someone wasn't careful about sliding the drawer all of the way shut.

Reptile owners use racks for snakes and leopard geckos too. It's not like, the prettiest thing in the world, but it certainly saves space!

Offline Rats_Red

• Rat mommy to 2 girls!!
    • Once Upon a Lop Rabbitry
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »
id worry about ventilation..you would have to cut out and add mesh to the sides and front..or not the front if you dont like the look. but sides for sure
Home to...
Rats: Rodger & Lillian
Buns: Murphy & Sebi. Maggie, Ripley, & Po
Cat: Romeo
Dog: Kodi
and 3 kids...18mo, 4.5, and 24!!

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 09:52:29 PM »
I am with red and meshing the sides I'd worry about them not sliding right anymore.

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 01:05:27 AM »
Just wanted to say: the minimum (bigger is always better) for one hamster is 360 square inches of floorspace (measure the base from the inside), which is equivalent to a 20 gallon long, no matter what kind of hamster it is. If you're looking into bin cages I recommend the 110 quart sterilite bin that you can find at Target (450 square inches of floor space). Or you can look for a smaller one that meets the minimum.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »
The main problem with those drawers is there's no ventilation since the top of the lid is right up against the bottom of the next shelf. You'd definitely have to ventilate both sides at minimum. If you mesh from the inside, it should slide in and out alright. But definitely make sure they're big enough.

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
I was planning on putting wire mesh ventilation windows on the sides and front. Im just trying to make a better living environment for my niece's hamster. She is being housed in a Hartz hamster cage that is way too small and she is becoming cage aggressive.
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 07:24:16 PM »
I was planning on putting wire mesh ventilation windows on the sides and front. Im just trying to make a better living environment for my niece's hamster. She is being housed in a Hartz hamster cage that is way too small and she is becoming cage aggressive.

If you're only looking for caging for one hamster, definitely go with one of the big sterilite bins. Super easy to make a mesh lid and cut a few windows out, and you can get them huge for super cheap.