Author Topic: My dogs are driving me insane.  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
My dogs are driving me insane.
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
Alright, so i have a shepherd husky mix who is about 8 years old now, Her name is Bella. I also have a Foxhound Lab mix who is about 4 now, his name is Kent. I just recently moved into a townhome and out of mothers house. she would not let me have the dogs there, (i got them while living with my dad) once i moved away from his house, he completely neglected the animals (without my knowledge) he would go away for a whole weekend leaving Kent outside and Bella in her crate, no food or water. After i left Kent was not aloud inside, and bella was kept in a crate about 20 out of 24 hours when he was home. Bella has always had issues with jumping fences and when left inside, she would chew door frames off, she once chewed a hole bigger than me in the wall, so she was only supposed to be crated when left completely unsupervised. As soon as i found out about the way they were being treated, i started looking for a way for me to move out so i could take them back, well I've had them living with me since August and all was well at first..now Kent has developed some aggression towards me when ever he's being reprimanded.. (say telling him to get down, or telling him no, or guiding him off the bed) Neither of these dogs have ever been hit since i adopted them, that i am sure of, my dad may have neglected them, but he wouldnt hit an animal. I know Bella has been abused in the mpast, and if you raise your voice (even not at her) she runs and hides. THe other day, i was trying to clip kents nails, and he was fine until i guess he realized what i was doing, then he snarled at me! he had never done that before! i calmed him down, the tried again and he snapped at me. Yesterday i was outside with him and he's usually very obedient, so when i let them out the back door to go to the bathroom, they're off leash. well another dog was about 200 yards away and he took off. usually all i would have to do is tell him to come here and he would ignore the other dog. well i chased after him and finally got ahold of his collar and he layed down on his back so i could lead him away, when i tried to get him up, he bit and scratched me. I dont know what to do with him, and i dont know why this started..
And then, there's Bella. She is now only crated when no one is home. Rob leaves for work at 7am and is back by 4:30. I leave for work around 11am and i am back by 6 so regardless of the day, she is never crated longer that 4.5 hours. but she's developed major dog aggression, not towards Kent, only other dogs. And she also has been going to the bathroom inside. I'll let her out, she wont do anything, but as soon as we get inside, she goes, no warning or anything. I dont know what to do. she knows she does wrong because as soon as she is down she runs and hides in her crates almost cowering, we dont even have to reprimand her before she does that. and im sorry this is so long, i just dont know what to do anymore.
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow
Ratatta
Rat 1 (who never had a name :/ )
Oreo
Ruby
Martha
Razzle
Mary

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
Re: My dogs are driving me insane.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »
I am not sure how to help with many of those issues, but I have come here in the past for advice on the Diver dogs issues and it's been suggested to me that I consult a behavioral therapist or trainer. 
Maybe a professional of that nature can help you!
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »
I would LOVE to go to a professional, but its so expensive, i might be able to afford it after Christmas, If i get money instead of gifts. For some reason care-credit won't accept me. so extra money goes to towards vet bills and what not.
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow
Ratatta
Oreo
Ruby
Martha
Razzle
Mary

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 02:27:28 PM »
I would LOVE to go to a professional, but its so expensive, i might be able to afford it after Christmas, If i get money instead of gifts. For some reason care-credit won't accept me. so extra money goes to towards vet bills and what not.

I agree with that, it's one of the reasons I haven't actually managed to consult a professional. Just a few friends who are going to school to become animal behavioralists. Next time I talk to them I will mention some of the things you are going through with your dogs and see if they have any suggestions. (if that's okay)

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 02:28:50 PM »
that would be totally fine. I really appreciate it!
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow
Ratatta
Oreo
Ruby
Martha
Razzle
Mary

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 06:25:33 PM »
It sounds like the neglect has really taken a toll on them, in many more ways than one.

This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt and I apologize if any of it is offensive in any way.

Kent sounds as though he's immensely frustrated and defensive, if I read your description of his body language right. Any training you do will need to be done carefully, calmly, and in a positive manner. I wouldn't recommend harsh reprimanding, even if it's mild. If he's truly defensive and easily upset, it'd only make things worse.

He may benefit from regular obedience training, teaching him to sit, lay down, etc if he doesn't already know, if he does, teach him something else. Try to find ways to get his mind off of being aggressive or defensive and keep training sessions short to keep him from becoming frustrated. Maybe try offering him a few new chew toys to take his frustration out on, or a treat ball to keep his mind working and keep him occupied for a while, though if he's food aggressive the latter may not be a good idea.

If you can, don't become overly upset with him when he snarl, growls, snaps, or becomes aggressive, this can only worsen the behavior in some dogs.

Bella, on the other hand, sounds like she's being affected by anxiety. Her relieving herself in the house may be due to the extent that she was previously crated, some dogs may be reverse potty trained if they are crated for such a long period of time. You'll need to work slowly with her and be understanding as you re-potty train her. As for the dog aggression, it may be coming out now due to the frustration she may have felt from being crated for such a long period of time. Now that she has the option to come out more frequently she may not know what to do with all of her energy.

She may, as well, benefit from a refresher on obedience training. And new toys or games, if she's interested, may help to redirect some of that misplaced energy.

This link may help if you're not overly familiar with canine body language: http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-articles/canine-body-language

I hope that this post will help you in some way with your dogs and I wish you good luck in working with the both of them.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »
That last link was actually really helpful for me, Hopefully it can help Ratacate too!

Thanks for posting it. Now, to put it all together and figure out why Diver has so much issues with the leash and things..

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 11:45:52 PM »
that link was awesome thank you.
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow