Author Topic: My Ill-behaved Bi(monkey)rd  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Garavar

My Ill-behaved Bi(monkey)rd
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:11:52 AM »
So I'm on GM quite a bit, (mostly in the Rat Tails and Mugshots section!) and yet I have neglected to post anything about my parrot, Sam.

Sam is a Green Cheeked Conure, and only about 5-6 inches long, excluding his tail feathers. He is about a year and a half, has a fierce bite, and enjoys taking long strolls across my bedroom floor. He is also a nervous wreck, and if you leave the room for just a few moments he insists on making a noise much like a fire/tornado alarm.

He hates all kids, with a minor exception of my 4yr old niece.

He loves to be tickled, and this is oh-so-adorable tickle pose:

He is quite possibly the best (and probably the worst) bird I have ever had the pleasure of being owned by. He may have a temper, but he also loves me most of the time. Well... Most of most of the time. Kinda ;)

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: My Ill-behaved Bi(monkey)rd
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »
Hullo to you, Mr. Sam! I love conures. & yea, they are a fairly bite-y bird.

When he yells at you for leaving, that is a specific thing that birds do. In the wild, they stay in touch with their flock by making a specific call (whatever the bird in questions "name" or ID, will be this call), and then they wait to hear back, so that they know all is well.

He can't see you, so he's saying; "Mom! Are you alright?!", because you are his flock! The screech he is making is his specific name for you,  :heart:

The best thing you can do, is come up with a specific thing to say back to him. A coworker of mine has a sunny, and her response to her (Shaggy's) call is; "Ta-da, Shaggy!"

Once he learns what your call is, he will come to expect it, and then not continue screaming. Because he knows you're okay.  :)

Offline staarlight

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:29:03 PM »
Hullo to you, Mr. Sam! I love conures. & yea, they are a fairly bite-y bird.

When he yells at you for leaving, that is a specific thing that birds do. In the wild, they stay in touch with their flock by making a specific call (whatever the bird in questions "name" or ID, will be this call), and then they wait to hear back, so that they know all is well.

He can't see you, so he's saying; "Mom! Are you alright?!", because you are his flock! The screech he is making is his specific name for you,  :heart:

The best thing you can do, is come up with a specific thing to say back to him. A coworker of mine has a sunny, and her response to her (Shaggy's) call is; "Ta-da, Shaggy!"

Once he learns what your call is, he will come to expect it, and then not continue screaming. Because he knows you're okay.  :)

Awww that's really quite sweet! He's a beautiful bird!
Owned by three demanding ratties :)

Offline Garavar

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 08:49:58 AM »

Well that makes sense. I have noticed that he does it for me and my mom, but not my brothers or dad.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »
That does make sense. Birds are usually pretty choosey about their "people". The love of a large bird does not come easy.  ;)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 11:59:32 AM »
That does make sense. Birds are usually pretty choosey about their "people". The love of a large bird does not come easy.  ;)

I understand this completely. I have yet to met a bird that actually likes me :)
I  have owned parakeets and a cockatail in the past and all three of them hated me. Liked my hubby, but didn't want anything to do with me.
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Garavar

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
So we tried (and failed) to clip Sam's wings again. He absolutely HATES anybody to touch his wings, and he has been perpetually terrified of scissors since the first time we clipped him. Last night was no different than the rest, except I have a nice beak-shaped wound on my wrist.

If anyone has any tips on clipping, feel free to share, haha   :poke:

Anywho, I got some pictures of the aftermath and him being all cheeky about the fact that he can still fly, even if it is a bit tilted and only for short distances.

This was actually before the fact, and he could tell what was going to happen and was acting very sweet. He has very good diversion tactics  ::)

Cheeky little monster

This is what his wings look like currently. I left the last two feathers (his beautiful blue ones), but I don't think that's why he is able to fly. I'm too scared to cut them shorter, JIC I accidentally clip flesh.

Bonus: Anyone ever wonder what the inside of a birds mouth looks like?

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »
Toweling and desensitization are good tools when it comes to getting any sort of grooming done, though the former isn't recommended I still believe that sometimes it is necessary.

In case you're interested, this is the bird version of gm's rat forum: avianavenue.com
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:50:10 PM by HowlsOfAngels »
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline Garavar

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 09:03:11 AM »
Toweling and desensitization are good tools when it comes to getting any sort of grooming done, though the former isn't recommended I still believe that sometimes it is necessary.

In case you're interested, this is the bird version of gm's rat forum: avianavenue.com

Thanks! That is just what I needed :)

Offline Garavar

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 09:10:48 AM »
What does one do with empty boxes? Why, make a birdy penthouse, of course!  ;D

Sam likes it (except he tries to go through the "windows" and can't fit his wings through) but it won't last very long, as he loves to shred cardboard.

Offline staarlight

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »
haha thats awesome!!
Owned by three demanding ratties :)

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
What a great toy!

Offline Garavar

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »
Sam sure did enjoy his holidays  :wink5:

He got two coconut toys from my mom, a new flightsuit from me (that he won't wear, and yells "NO!" e.v.e.r.y. time he sees it), and I have a new blender, so he also has a lifetime subscription to his favorite smoothies. Are there any fruits I should be wary of? His favorites are blue berries and bananas, but I plan on introducing him to some new fruits soon.

:party:   Happy New Year, everyone, as I won't be back for a while, but when I do I will have Sam's New Years photos  :cheeky:

Offline Garavar

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »
A/N:

We are taking the little monster to a new vet in January, and I am afraid he will maim the new guy. Our last vet came out to the house (she also treated our cattle, etc) and Sam was more comfortable with her while he was in a familiar environment. And tips to make this vet transfer easier would be WAY helpful  :)

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »
No real tips, but transporting him in an opaque soft-sided container will probably make his trip a lot more comfortable. Buddy (the boy's 'tiel) absolutely panics if he can see out in the car.