Author Topic: 8 year old beagle. Disease, arthritis? help.  (Read 926 times)

Offline TuckerTheBeagle

• Ritten
8 year old beagle. Disease, arthritis? help.
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »
Hello guys.

Like the title says, I have an 8 year old Beagle, who until around June of 2012, was very active and would even go on long jogs with me once and a while.

Well, in June of 2012, he developed a slight limp in his left leg, which we thought was probably just an injury from jumping off the deck, bed, pulled muscle, ect. Just something simple.

Well, it never went away, and got worse to where he wouldn't even use it. So we took him to the vet. X-rays. Oh he should be fine, just let him rest and not use it... HA. Well, a few weeks later, no improvement, it got worse. So back to the vet. They took a tissue sample from that leg. Nothing.

We had already added glucosamine in case he had some arthritis.  That hasn't helped at all.

So he's had multiple trips to the vet, they have found nothing. Now, he's doing the same thing with his left REAR leg.. He's using his front leg more now, but I'm guessing it's only because he can't use his rear leg. He barely walks. We have to carry him outside and up stairs. He doesn't seem to be in too much pain when he's just laying around, but if you touch him wrong or set him down on his bad legs he is crying!

I have no idea what to do. I am a 23 year old just out of college with no money so another trip to the vet isn't something I'm looking forward to since they have already failed to find anything the first two times. Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be a disease? arthritis? Are there any medications I could just try and see if it helps without hurting him?  He's only 8 so putting him to sleep seems pretty terrible.

Offline TuckerTheBeagle

• Ritten
Re: 8 year old beagle. Disease, arthritis? help.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »
Wow this forum blows

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:50:23 PM »
Less than two hours without a response, and you are hating on the forum? That isn't even close to fair.
Not to mention, this is primarily a rat forum. All of the subforums are leagues less active that the rat forum, and dog is probably one of the least active of all.  :-\

As per your dog, your vet may be looking in the wrong area. When our dachshund started limping, it ended up being a pinched nerve in her back. That would certainly seem to fit with him not using it, it getting worse over time, and crying when you touch the area.

Your vet should have been able to detect arthritis if it was evident, but you can try glucosamine/chondrotin supplements, if nothing, it absolutely can't hurt, and may help a little.

I would avoid giving pain medicine (even baby aspirin) without a legitimate prescription, as dogs are pretty prone to GI bleeds when they are on them for any period of time.

Please don't act like a jerk when you are brand-new to the forum. It won't endear you to anyone, and it certainly isn't going to get your post attention any faster.

Offline TuckerTheBeagle

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »
Two hours?

You mean a week.