Author Topic: Recurring UTI's?  (Read 1379 times)

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
Recurring UTI's?
« on: December 25, 2012, 01:26:32 PM »
Some of you may remember when I adopted my blind cocker spaniel, Wolfgang, back in May. Things have gone pretty smoothly and he's an absolutely wonderful dog and the love of my life.  I was weary about adopting him because of his age (he turned 8 the day after I adopted him) but he's just as spunky and healthy as any puppy aside from his eyesight.

A couple of weeks ago, he had an accident just a few hours after having been let out to potty.  I figured he mud have just had to really go, and since he's wonderful and pees on the tile instead of the carpet, I just wiped it up and went about my business.  Couple hours later and he had peed again.  By the third accident, I realized that there was a slightly pink tint to his urine so I gave him a cranberry pill, increased the frequency of potty trips, and just kept an eye on him.  By the next morning, he was literally just dripping what looked like straight blood when he tried to pee, so I called the vet immediately and scheduled an appointment for that afternoon.  I grabbed a urine sample before we headed over and there actually clots of blood floating around in it.

We saw a new vet, who did a very thorough exam (probably more so than his first check-up when I got him, lol).  I'm not sure exactly what all she did as far as urinalysis or whatever goes, but I do remember her mentioning that when she looked at it under the scope, there was so much blood that it was hard to really see an thing else?  She said she felt confident that it wasn't anything kidney related since his blood panel came back fine in May and sent us home with a 10 day course of antibiotics and instructions to call back if he wasn't showing improvement within 2-3 days.  His urine was clear and he was no longer having accidents within 24 hours of his first pill and he finished his course 2 weeks ago or so.

He had a little accident at my parents this morning, but that isn't totally unusual for him (my mom's been having house training issues with her chi and Wolfgang marks over his occasionally).  He came back in a bit later from a potty and I noticed while rubbing his belly that there was blood on his fur around his penis again. ):

I'll be calling the vet first thing in the morning but wondering if anyone has any insight as to what might be going on.  I spoke to his previous owner and she said that he does not have a history of UTI's, so I'm really worried that something more is going on.  He's on a good diet (Taste of the Wild), has lost about 5 pounds since coming home (from 38 down to about 33) and overall seems happy and healthy.

Offline Sidders

Re: Recurring UTI's?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 09:35:20 PM »
Could he possibly have crystals? My male cat had frequent blood in his urine when he had crystals in his bladder and had to be put on a prescription diet -- he hasn't had a UTI in years now. He was first treated with several rounds of antibiotics but the UTI symptoms would always come back after a few weeks (frequent urination, straining, blood in urine, etc.).

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »
I hope not, but I guess it's possible.   :(  I'm waiting on a call back from the vet now to see if they want me to bring him in or just have me come pick up more antibiotics.  He hasn't had any accidents since the one yesterday and I haven't noticed any blood since then either, so I don't know what's going on.   :dontknow:

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »
Ideally, whenever there is a UTI the urine should be cultured to see what bacteria are present and allow the correct antibiotic to be chosen. Continuing to treat with the wrong antibiotics will just make the infection more difficult to clear and the culture (if one is done after the fact) will not be as reliable. Other factors that would prevent it from clearing up completely would be the presence of bladder stones, crystals, and abnormalities with his bladder/urethra anatomy.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »
I really have no idea if they did a culture or not.  This new vet was really nice and thorough... but... she seriously talked faster than an auctioneer.   :confused:  It was really awkward and she was a bit hard to follow.  I did take in a fresh urine sample and like I said, she did say something about I guess looking at it under a scope? and there being a lot of blood, but I'm not sure if they did anything else.  She just said that she felt confident that it was just a UTI and not anything more serious.

They ended up just giving him another round of the same antibiotics as before.  I waaaant to say it's Clindamycin but I'd have to double check.  Vet left a note on his chart that if it happens again, they'd like to do an x-ray, which I guess would check for stones?

Aside from the bit of blood and the accident he had at my parents, there weren't really any other symptoms.  He hasn't had any accidents or blood around his penis since then and I haven't noticed any straining when I take him out to potty.  I'm hoping that just means I caught it before it got bad but could that be indicative of stones/crystals passing?

Kat, any thoughts on giving him cranberry pills?

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 03:04:59 PM »
Here's some general info on UTIs- Link

Here's some good info on cranberries in people- WebMD link and here is a post on one of my favorite veterinary blogs- SkeptVet
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 03:46:10 PM »
From the list of signs/symptoms in the first link...

Bloody urine (though an infection must either involve a certain organism, a bladder stone, a bladder tumor, or be particularly severe to make urine red to the naked eye).

This worries me.  His symptoms appeared seemingly overnight and there was lots and lots of blood.   :worry: