Author Topic: rabbit diet q's  (Read 4568 times)

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
rabbit diet q's
« on: May 25, 2002, 05:29:43 PM »
can anyone out there tell me what they feed their rabbits? i dont want to feed him premixed stuff, since i make my own rat and dog food mixes --- buti dont know where to go for my rabbit! i want to have things set for him before cotton comes home! (hes a rescue rabbit, i am not sure if i will be putting him up for adoption or not)
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline Bonnie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Professional Treat Dispenser
Re:rabbit diet q's
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2002, 06:30:04 PM »
There are actually a lot of good premium rabbit feeds available- that are actually GOOD for rabbits. (Unlike rat feed-grr.)

In Arizona I feed my rabbits a feed called Kruze, but it's not available here in North Carolina, so when my mom travels here with my rabbits next month I have to find a new brand- I will probably go with Purina Bunny Chow, since it's the most reputable brand I can find in my area.

I asked a very knowledgable rabbit-breeder friend of mine what to look for in my searches for a new feed, and this is what he told me:

Look for 2% fat, 16% protien, and 18%+ fiber.

Also, the first 3 ingredients should be Alfalfa meal, ground barley and wheat milrun (not necissarily in that order).

The following should be in the top 10, but not the top 3 ingredients: Ground corn, ground oats and cotton seed.

Now this is a feed that a breeder would feed a show quality animal, so if you can find a feed as close to that as possible, it should be good. :)

Edit- of course with added veggies that are rabbit safe, such as parsley and other greens, and carrots. :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2002, 06:43:51 PM by Bonnie »
~Bonnie~

www.petfinder.com --Adopt a pet, save a life!

Offline Valerie

• and The Brood de Brux
Re:rabbit diet q's
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2002, 12:16:50 AM »
I think that the biggest part of a rabbit's (I'm assuming that this is an adult house rabbit) diet should be a good quality grass hay.  They should have that free choice to have all the time.  My girls (3 1/2 and 4 lbs each) also get at least 2 cups of organic greens each a day.  Pellets actually make up the smallest part of their diet.  They share 1/3 of a cup.  I think that as long as you choose a pellet with low protien, low fat and as high of fiber as you can get, that it's such a small part of their diet, it'll be ok.  Have you checked out the House Rabbit Society page?  
http://www.rabbit.org  

You might also check out this link for more info on diet.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html

Another big thing that I had to get used to with rabbits, since I was so used to rats was that they are complete herbivores.  That means no yougies, no cereal type stuff, nothing like I give my rats.  What my buns like for treats are herbs... they love basil, dill and mint.

Valerie, the Brood de Brux and the buns Leah and Rachel