Author Topic: Do male mice need to live alone?  (Read 8372 times)

Offline Winterlest

• A balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
Do male mice need to live alone?
« on: December 28, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
I read somewhere that male mice are very territorial and have to live alone to prevent fights. But I see many articles saying that mice in general need to live in groups. So to all of you mice lovers - which one is right?
Mommy to:
1 cat - Cece
1 rat - Nino

Bridge rats: Oscar, Boo, Maurice, Moe, Rodney, Marley, Remy and Nestle. I'll keep you forever in my heart <3

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Do male mice need to live alone?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 02:23:11 PM »
I don't own mice myself (could never convince mom) but one of my good friends does. She keeps her female mice in groups since they are social and her male mouse lives solo. From what I understand, this is pretty normal practice.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »
The Rat and Mouse Club of America (RMCA) has some information about keeping mice that should answer your question.  I may be wrong, but I believe that the only male mice that can live peaceably together have to be littermates who've never been separated.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Winterlest

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
Thank you so much for answering (:
Mommy to:
1 cat - Cece
1 rat - Nino

Bridge rats: Oscar, Boo, Maurice, Moe, Rodney, Marley, Remy and Nestle. I'll keep you forever in my heart <3

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
You're welcome.  I had a moment to check out their Mouse FAQ, and it appears that the male mice don't have to be related to live together, as long as they are introduced at a young enough age.  (See the FAQ for details.)

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:27:35 PM »
Male mice ARE to be housed separately. I had gotten a boy that was missing 2/3 of his back due to a fight as proof.
Even litter mates if never separated can just become aggressive towards one another like the flick of a switch. I would never risk it.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »
I agree with MiserySmith. I used to breed mice and would leave male litter mates together and it worked out quite well. Then one night along around 8months of age, without any explanation, they began fighting. To say the -very- least, I will never leave male mice together ever again and will not advocate it either.
-Melina & Crew

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 04:06:10 PM »
Where are you located? Are you in the US?

There are strains of UK mice that are able to live together. They have completely different temperaments.

If you are in the US, male mice should never ever live together. Even if they are littermates. Way too dangerous to chance. Females can live together, though.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 08:41:18 PM »
Somebody ought to get the RMCA to change their Mouse FAQ, then.

Offline Winterlest

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 04:28:51 PM »
I'm actually from Bulgaria. I wish I could get some mice but their lifespan is too short and I'm afraid my cat may harm them.

Anyway I asked this question because I was giving advice to a newbie rodent lover how many mice to get. I try to help Bulgarians take better care for their pets (which is hard).

Thank you all for helping me.
Mommy to:
1 cat - Cece
1 rat - Nino

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »
. . . I try to help Bulgarians take better care for their pets (which is hard). . . .

That's noble work.  Bless you for trying.  You cannot fail to do good, whether you get to see it or not.  You may never see, in fact, the sprouting of the seeds you're planting, but trust me, it's good work all the same.

And don't be too critical of your fellow Bulgarians; as far as we've come over here, there are still many Americans who remain callous and unenlightened. :doh:  :puppy_dog_eyes:

Offline Winterlest

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 05:16:34 PM »
Well I'm so critical because I've seen only the bad side. It's sad. When you buy any animals you should try to take the best care for them.

Who would put his hamster to live in a jar or his guinea pig in a hamster cage... /endspam
Mommy to:
1 cat - Cece
1 rat - Nino

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »
Well I'm so critical because I've seen only the bad side. It's sad. When you buy any animals you should try to take the best care for them.

Who would put his hamster to live in a jar or his guinea pig in a hamster cage... /endspam

Then you are truly doing noble work.  Please try not to get discouraged.  Every animal you help will bless you (and so will we). :heart:

Offline gsmonks

• GS Monks
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 06:26:56 AM »
It depends partly on the mice. Some mice get along, others fight. There are a number of factors to take into consideration with both male and female mice. It can depend on the time of year, on temperament, on their mating cycle, on their age, on so many things.

It's true about litter mates. They tend to get along. I've also had old pairs of females that were raised together, that would put the run on and try to kill any intruder that came along, male or female.
3 cats- Arthur, Ginger Snap and Harlequin
4 domestic mice, 3 red-backed voles
Occasionally keep moles, shrews and injured bats

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 08:52:26 PM »
In the US male mice need to be kept alone. So I agree with all the people saying so.

I have a single male, I wouldn't risk trying to put him with anyone, because as another poster pointed out the fighting comes out of the blue.

I love my little mouse.  :heart:

Offline Spekx

• Ritten
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 06:05:21 AM »
I would have to say it depends on the mice and individual circumstances. I think a lot of people increase their risk for fights a number of different ways.

Personally I have two male mice that are not littermates that live together peaceably and even curl up and sleep together although the cage has ample room for them to sleep separately.

The studies I've read on mice suggest that male mice prefer to live with other males rather then to live a life of solitude. You can read it yourself in this article and its links.

http://www.allaboutmice.co.uk/lone-males/

Personally for me, to know that a mouse is such a social creature...it seems cruel to subject them to a life of solitary confinement. Which was why I took the risk of introducing another male to my mouse Atlas. I checked with the pet store and made sure they had a return policy before purchasing the other mouse.

About my male mouse Atlas - I don't know how "average" he is but he's mostly a very calm individual almost lazy....which was why I decided to take the risk. I haven't had any signs of aggression to date....and they've been living together for a couple of months now as I said before they even curl up and sleep together.

Before I introduced them they never knew each other, they were born in different litters weeks apart. It used to be more obvious as Atlas was much bigger then the newcomer I named Speedy. Looking at them now I think Atlas is still a little bigger then him but its much less obvious.

Something I notice with the males (I've owned a group of 3 females in the past and never noticed this), they seem to take shift's being awake......rarely are they both active at the same time (unless I put treats in their cage). One will go to bed and the other will wake up and take his turn on the wheel.   

"Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect"

- Chief Seattle 1780-1886