Author Topic: butt rash?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline schermbeck

butt rash?
« on: December 28, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »
ok so I'm not usually in the cat section of goosemoose but my cat Booger has a rash like thing on his butt and its got bigger. It feels like flaky scaby things all up and down his butt cheeks. I new to owning cats butt I'm pretty sure it's not normal. Can cats get psoriasis? that's the only thing I could think it would be. He is about 1 year and is fixed.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
Re: butt rash?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:43:11 AM »

That doesn't sound good.  Better take him to the vet and get that checked out.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:18:48 AM »
Crusting and flaking wounds could be dry skin, but it could be ringworm, or an allergic reaction to something.  Definitely time for a vet visit.

Offline schermbeck

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:37:38 PM »
if it was ringworm I think it would be more spread or we would have it but it does kinda look like it but not really. I used to pretty much live in a dojo so I know what that looks like. I don't think it's an allergic reaction because we haven't changed any cleaners or anything. We use only green cleaners or bleach. Could be dry skin that he is just picking at. Idk...

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »
if it was ringworm I think it would be more spread or we would have it but it does kinda look like it but not really. I used to pretty much live in a dojo so I know what that looks like. I don't think it's an allergic reaction because we haven't changed any cleaners or anything. We use only green cleaners or bleach. Could be dry skin that he is just picking at. Idk...

Just because you haven't changed anything doesn't mean the cat litter company hasn't, or the cat food company... 

Either way, he needs to see a vet to determine what the problem is, and hopefully fix it.

Offline schermbeck

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 11:57:05 PM »
if it was his food wouldn't it be near his face? Never considered his litter though I think I may have switched it around when it started. I'll try changing it and see if that helps. Will cats poo in paper litter like carefresh or would that just just be a waste of my time to try?

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 12:50:59 AM »
if it was his food wouldn't it be near his face? Never considered his litter though I think I may have switched it around when it started. I'll try changing it and see if that helps. Will cats poo in paper litter like carefresh or would that just just be a waste of my time to try?

Nope, food allergies or sensitivities can show up in the skin all over the body.

Carefresh probably wouldn't work.  It's not easy to dig in, and cat want to dig and bury what they do.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:30:26 AM »
I'd still recommend you take him in to the vet to get him some allergy relief medication, or whatever it is he may need, but if you're looking for an alternative litter I've had good luck using compressed walnut shells for my rat and the litter was originally designed for feline use.

Link: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12758440&lmdn=Brand&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline schermbeck

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 04:44:38 PM »
Soooo I found the source of Boogies irritation on his butt.....  dumb arse found a hole into the ceiling from my utility closet and has been sleeping up there. I blocked it off and his rash disappeared and his snoring has gotten better. Stupid must have laid in some insulation.....

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 06:42:44 PM »
Silly kitty.  I'm glad you figured it out!