Author Topic: Kyo's New(temporary) Friend!  (Read 1138 times)

Offline SchönDers

Kyo's New(temporary) Friend!
« on: December 29, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »
I had a friend from out of state come and stay with me over with me during Christmas, and she brought her kitty with her because she didn't want to leave him alone while she was gone.  We were apprehensive about introducing her cat (William) to my cat (Kyo) because I have never introduced Kyo to another cat, he was aggressive towards the bunny we introduced him to, but never aggressive towards my rats so we were unsure of how he would react. The fact that they were both male cats and William is quite a bit larger than Kyo also worried us (William is 15.5 lbs and Kyo is 8.6) We decided to introduce them slowly by putting William into our rat room and keeping Kyo free in the house and putting an item in both of the rooms that had the other cat's scent on it. After an hour, we switched them putting Kyo in the rat room and letting William run free and then let them together after one more hour.

At first, there was a lot of sniffing, batting, and growling but that soon turned into playing and wrestling.  To our surprise, they did really well together! A few times, Kyo would start a little fight with William and then would get angry when William fought back but there was no blood and no pinned ears so we just left them to play.

Here's a picture of the two when we first introduced them. William is the black one, Kyo is the grey tabby

Another picture of them a little later, snuggling on the bed together. This was a rare shot, because they would usually move once we came into the room if they were snuggling. I also think William was kneading Kyo.

With William at our apartment, Kyo stopped biting ankles probably because he got all of his energy out by playing with his new friend. Kyo also stopped trying to get outside as much as he used to. I'm thinking this is an indication that we should get another cat to keep Kyo company and keep him entertained while my fiance and I are going to be in class very soon.  We're hoping to save some money and go to a shelter soon to find Kyo the perfect friend and another companion for us.

And one last picture, just because it's cute.  William never had an experience with a wheelchair before, so he was terrified of Alex.  Then we were watching a movie one day and William jumped onto Alex's lap and snuggled with him. Alex had to get used to him for a few seconds because William is about 7 pounds heavier than Kyo but Alex really liked having another kitty to snuggle with. Here it is

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Kyo's New(temporary) Friend!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »
Aww... Yeah, it sounds like Kyo needs a permanent friend to play with!  :)

Offline lularat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:40:10 PM »
That's great that they got along that well. I also have a single cat and would love to get another. I have tried introducing a cat one time before, but Bella would have nothing to do with her and her behavior changed and she started hiding and withdrawing from us. She was a feral, and has always been scared of everything. We ended up finding the other cat a new home. Sounds like Kyo would love having a new friend. Kyo is quite a handsome fellow...I luv tabbies!  :heart:
~Carolyn~

Offline SchönDers

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 08:56:02 PM »
That's great that they got along that well. I also have a single cat and would love to get another. I have tried introducing a cat one time before, but Bella would have nothing to do with her and her behavior changed and she started hiding and withdrawing from us. She was a feral, and has always been scared of everything. We ended up finding the other cat a new home. Sounds like Kyo would love having a new friend. Kyo is quite a handsome fellow...I luv tabbies!  :heart:

I actually found Kyo outside, but he definitely had owners before us because he was neutered and de-clawed but I don't know if he had been around other cats before this. We're planning on going to a shelter very soon to see what kitties they have available since we know he's likely to get along with one. We're probably going to get a kitten, unless we can find a very social older cat, because Kyo loves to play and has a lot of energy.