Author Topic: Puppy Licking  (Read 821 times)

Offline rocky_red

Puppy Licking
« on: December 30, 2012, 01:01:13 AM »
I recently got a new puppy, she's almost four months old, border collie mix (Numa). I already have a rough collie, she's six years old (Lilah). Lilah is good with other dogs, as long as they aren't in her face. She'll bare her teeth, and if they don't back off, she just snaps at them. Numa is doing the puppy-licking-the-other-dog's-mouth-thing. Lilah hates it. Numa doesn't know when to stop. She licks at her mouth, Lilah snaps at her, then Numa licks at her more to try to appease her. Is there a way to teach Numa to stop this? Or do I just wait for her to grow out of it? Lilah is good with her when she isn't licking at her (on walks, or if they are running around).

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Re: Puppy Licking
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:27:14 PM »
Truthfully, when my grumpy old cattle dog mix, which is six years old as well, does this I tell her to quit being a lump and then I leave them be.

Your pup will gain confidence as she grows and will eventually stop her excessive appeasement, but if you really don't like their petty arguments then you can redirect one or both dogs. Call one or both of them at the start of their silliness and sit them down in front of you, once you have their attention ask them to lay down then praise them for being calm. You can even add a cue if you'd like such as 'enough' or 'separate'.

Or you can be 'rude', like me, and bounce a tennis ball off the younger dogs butt/head/hip, usually pups have such short attention spans and are so unaware of their environment that the sudden contact of the tennis ball will startle them and then they'll chase it as it rolls/bounces away.  :yelcutelaugh:
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline Armygreen313

Re: Puppy Licking
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 10:47:01 PM »
Our 2 year old pup has been doing this to our 6 year old dog for oh... 2 years now.  We've gotten to the point where we just tell them to shut up and then we laugh it off, lol.  I'm pretty sure they'll be doing this forever, and you'll eventually get used to it!