Author Topic: Twitchy cat -- gotten worse, please advise  (Read 1493 times)

Offline BurningCuriosity

Twitchy cat -- gotten worse, please advise
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
Hi there,

I have three cats; two girls and boy. The two girls were mine from the start but then my boyfriend, now fiance, moved in with his boy. The girls have just been the two of them for about four years. The relationship between the girls has been strenuous at best. The younger one, Kona, gets along better with him than the older girl, Akira. Kona is four, Akira around 8, and Emelio (the boy) is around 5. Kona can be playful with him at times, snippy at others. Akira just tries to strike him and he doesn't know not to stick his nose where it doesn't belong, ie in her face.
We have been living together for about 2.5 years. The problem started about six months or so ago.

The girls are fine, it's the boy that has the problem.

When it started, all he was doing was twitching his tail at the base and getting an irritated look. He would start to lick his tail base a lot. My fiance took him to the vet for a checkup and I told him to bring it up. They checked him for bugs and didn't find anything and said he's just neurotic.
Within the past month or so it has gotten worse. Its progressed to him sitting and really looking irritated with his ears back and eyes wide, stomping his heels and licking at his sides or backside or tail base. Usually he licks at the right side more than the left. The most recent change is that he sits and looks at his sides and his tongue will pop in and out or he'll bite at the air like he's trying to catch something with his mouth.
We give him scratches or pets to distract him but it comes back. It's episodes, it's not all the time that he's doing this. We play with him, admittedly not as often as we should. He only does this while he's sitting down. Never lying down or standing. He can be completely peaceful most of the time, too.

I think if he had bugs, the other two would as well. He's completely white, so I think it would be easy to spot black bugs and I haven't seen anything.
He has gotten oddly fat... like he has cantaloupe in his stomach. That made me think maybe he has worms?
Akira is a big girl, the standard tubby cat all over. Emelio is just round in his tummy. Which I find odd. And when you push on Akira's fat, it moves and is squishy, Emelio's tummy is kind of hard and tough when you push on it. He poo's and pee's just fine (the smell is evidence enough of that!), so at least he's not constipated. He has been to the vet in the past for not drinking enough, but it hasn't been a problem in over a year. I give them all wet food in the morning. Kona and Emelio have dry food out all the time. Akira has a "food bot" that only feeds her in the evening (since she gets a wet food breakfast).

Money is a tad tight and neither one of us could really afford to take him to the vet right now, which is why I'm asking for help.
Has anyone dealt with something like this before or even heard of it? It is just advance stages of neurosis? Or stress from crabby girls? Or dry skin? Or do you think I should take him to the vet anyway? I can always find money for the cats, but if it's not major, I'd rather save the $100+....

Please help! I feel bad for Emelio....
Thanks,
Jen

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Twitchy cat -- gotten worse, please advise
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:34:33 AM »
Did the vet check him for worms and when was the last time they were all dewormed?   What flea preventative do you have them on?

Offline BurningCuriosity

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »
I wasn't at the vet when he was there last, but I'm going to say No. They haven't been dewormed for over a year. They don't have any flea preventative. They are all indoors.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:38:52 AM »
Deworming would be the first thing to try I would think that can you do on your own, though if it is tape worms that is easier with the vet.

Offline BurningCuriosity

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
If I give him a dewormer even if it's not worms, it's not going to be harmful to him, will it?
Is this something I can pick up at the Petco? 
How could he get worms if he's an indoor cat? He's terrified of the outside.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »
Not to say that this is what's going on, but my girl had a similar problem, and it turned out to be her thyroid.  Have they done any bloodwork on him?  It's not a common symptom, but it does happen with hyperthyroidism that the skin gets over sensitive...

Offline missamy

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 01:50:16 AM »
Google feline hyperesthesia, it sounds like it may be that.  I have a cat that has a mild case of it now, although it used to be worse.  Would your kitty happen to have any breaks (broken feeling spots) or kinks in his tail?
I am only one, but I am still one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.  - Edward Everett Hale