Author Topic: Persistant cat UTI  (Read 12868 times)

Offline Caresmom5

Re: Persistant cat UTI
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
10 lbs
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 02:30:21 PM »
I'm not certain it'll be possible to get an appropriately small dose with the pills...  We're talking around 1mg or so.

Offline Caresmom5

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
Maybe I can crush and mix with water? If it mixes well, I could then get an accurate dose with a syringe.
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 02:50:05 PM »
Maybe I can crush and mix with water? If it mixes well, I could then get an accurate dose with a syringe.

You could try it, for sure.

Offline KellyNZoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moo!
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 09:20:41 AM »
I may have missed the specifics, but is kitty on wet or dry food?

Dry food is known to cause these issues.. the cats are constantly dehydrated (and hence why they drink water) and it slowly kills their organs. So sad. :(

My heart cat had these issues, on dry. Other than SO no regular dry would help. I started to read more and more, because honestly, he was getting worse in other ways thanks to the SO! My reading taught me that dry food is the WORST thing for cats with UTI issues, and wet was much better. So we went with a 100% wet diet, and sometimes mixed water in too. He instantly lost a ton of weight and started to romp like a kitten again! We stayed on SO for another 6mths so I could slowly wean him to regular canned food.

Then, because once I get hooked on something - I can't stop, I learned that a raw diet was even better than canned for UTI kitties! Once on canned, Zaq only got one UTI before I started switching to raw. Took me 8mths of slowly transiitioning him (he was 13 when we started!) but eventually he was on 100% raw meat and doing SO MUCH BETTER! He hadn't had a UTI since the switch (he has since passed from his injection sarcoma but was healthy until then) - that was over 4yrs of no UTIs!! He had no tartar on his teeth anymore, he never stunk us out of the apartment with his poops anymore, he got to a good weight (went from over 20lbs to 12!) and would run about like a kitten again. :) :heart:

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2013, 10:29:19 PM »
I may have missed the specifics, but is kitty on wet or dry food?

Dry food is known to cause these issues.. the cats are constantly dehydrated (and hence why they drink water) and it slowly kills their organs. So sad. :(

My heart cat had these issues, on dry. Other than SO no regular dry would help. I started to read more and more, because honestly, he was getting worse in other ways thanks to the SO! My reading taught me that dry food is the WORST thing for cats with UTI issues, and wet was much better. So we went with a 100% wet diet, and sometimes mixed water in too. He instantly lost a ton of weight and started to romp like a kitten again! We stayed on SO for another 6mths so I could slowly wean him to regular canned food.

Then, because once I get hooked on something - I can't stop, I learned that a raw diet was even better than canned for UTI kitties! Once on canned, Zaq only got one UTI before I started switching to raw. Took me 8mths of slowly transiitioning him (he was 13 when we started!) but eventually he was on 100% raw meat and doing SO MUCH BETTER! He hadn't had a UTI since the switch (he has since passed from his injection sarcoma but was healthy until then) - that was over 4yrs of no UTIs!! He had no tartar on his teeth anymore, he never stunk us out of the apartment with his poops anymore, he got to a good weight (went from over 20lbs to 12!) and would run about like a kitten again. :) :heart:

I want to switch my UTI kitty to raw or even cooked meat but he vomits within 5 minutes of having a sliver of anything raw or cooked even if there is no seasoning or salt. I just dont understand how canned food would be any different other than being processed to death.