Author Topic: Wanted: Any Used Hammocks for sale?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline 2RatGirls

• Rats and Cats <3
Wanted: Any Used Hammocks for sale?
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:59:52 AM »
I recently got my two rat girlies set up in their new cage :) I'm looking to brighten up their cage a little with some cozy hammocks! I can't afford spending too much on new hammocks, so I'm hoping to find some used ones instead.  :D

I don't know how to sew, but I have made them a few cuddly "hammock" type things to cuddle in using old towels and an old dress.

I'm wondering if anyone has any used hammocks they wouldn't mind selling at a discount price, for them being used/chewed/whatnot? I live in LA, and would pay the price + shipping. :)

Offline Caresmom5

Re: Wanted: Any Used Hammocks for sale?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:56:57 PM »
You can also buy some cheaper pretty fleece, cut it to hammock-size with scissors (no need to measure or be perfectly straight), push a shower hook through each corner (not TOO close to the edge) and you have a lovely hammock!  You can also put the hooks through 2 or more layers to make a hammock they can go into :)
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.

Offline 2RatGirls

• Rats and Cats <3
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
That's a great idea :o I did see some good fleece at Michaels but got scared about the sewing part...

I guess like that I don't have to sew at all. Do you know where it would be possible to buy shower hooks? Does any crafts store sell them?

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »
Wal-Mart sells them. :)

Offline 2RatGirls

• Rats and Cats <3
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »
Thanks guys! Looks like I have a new project to keep me busy  :)

I'm really glad I joined this forum, you all are so helpful.

Offline Caresmom5

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 04:28:36 PM »
Yep! You can also get the metal shower hooks way cheaper on ebay..but it wont matter much of you are just looking to buy enough to keep a few hammocks up at a time. I bought 300 for $25 once...lol. But you obviously don't need that many unless you plan to sell hammocks. You can also use grommets in the corners if the holes stretch out too much under the weight...but with only 2 rats..it'll probably be fine without. Have fun!!
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:59:08 PM »
If buying fabric is a budgetary difficulty, most rats are happy with used clothes as well.  Sleeves and pants-legs make nice no-sew tunnels - works the same way as the fleece, except you'll have to use scissors to make holes for the shower hooks, since most fabrics won't pierce as easily as fleece.

Offline Anjel

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
You can also make no-sew fleece hammocks but cutting along the edges of 2 pieces of fleece and then tying the fringes together. Same way no-sew blankets are made.  :thumbsup2:

Offline rattluvr7

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 03:09:28 AM »
if you take a pair of jeans and cut the legs then push some metal shower hooks through they work great...my ratties enjoy these more than my sewn hammocks that take a while and the jeans are more durable
Owned by 6 ratties, rattatouille,spartacus,flower,baby,penelope and my hairless boy smiegal.
R.i.p daisy girl mommy misses you...ill see u again someday at the rainbow bridge <3

Offline rattluvr7

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 01:33:08 AM »
old washcloths and potholders work for hammocks too! you can get em cheap like at the 99cent store...and the old pair of jeans and use the jean leg for a hanging tunnel is the best my rats chose that over the fleece hammocks I make that I spend hours handsewing. you can also take any type of basket and tie it to the side of the cage they love that too and throw in some pieces of old materiel,hand towels etc. I got some colorful canvas baskets for 3.99 each at michaels a craft store by me and they are by far the favorite sleeping spot and I just throw em in the washing machine and let them air dry when dirty...so easy. I hang them on the side of the cage and they come in really nice colors...neon pink,green,orange and I also got black and white ones...try the 99 cent store for plastic baskets to hang in the cage really simple and super cheap!!!
Owned by 6 ratties, rattatouille,spartacus,flower,baby,penelope and my hairless boy smiegal.
R.i.p daisy girl mommy misses you...ill see u again someday at the rainbow bridge <3