Author Topic: Rat-safe paint?  (Read 11883 times)

Offline gawgeouspaws

Rat-safe paint?
« on: January 28, 2013, 06:46:40 PM »
I recently got my girls into their new CN, but since none of the hammocks and other things have arrived yet, it's rather devoid of decoration or anything. I just had to get them in the cage, considering they had already outgrew the temporary hamster cage they were in. I really want to personalize their cage, you know, put a few things in there that I made. Since I'm crap with a needle and thread/sewing machine I've decided to spice it up by adding in homemade toys and getting organizing bins and things from the Dollar Tree to do a little DIY project on and put in their cage. My envisioned color scheme is pinks, greens, and a healthy sprinkle of blues, but you never know, I'll probably broaden the horizons to include other colors as well. Anyways, enough of my rambling, I'll get to the question at hand. What's a good rat-safe paint that I can use to help with some of my DIY cage decorations and such? I had the idea to incorporate some cheapo storage containers, but I want them to fit with the colors I want, and so I'd have to paint them.
currently snuggling mario
rip henrietta, penelope, and angus
came back to this forum again as of 1/23/2017

Offline Anjel

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Rat-safe paint?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:50:54 PM »
Rustoleum spraypaint is supposed to be safe, and Krylon is supposed to be bird-safe which should also be fine for rats since the share a similar respiratory sensitivity. Cure all painted objects for 1-2 weeks or until it completely doesn't smell like paint, and then a few extra days to be safe.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:52:22 PM »
By the time they cure your hammocks will have came so I'd go with the colors they came rather then worrying about a color scheme right now.

Offline gawgeouspaws

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »
Rustoleum spraypaint is supposed to be safe, and Krylon is supposed to be bird-safe which should also be fine for rats since the share a similar respiratory sensitivity. Cure all painted objects for 1-2 weeks or until it completely doesn't smell like paint, and then a few extra days to be safe.

Yea, I heard Rustoleum was safe, but I've never heard of Krylon being safe. I'll probably use Krylon though, considering that when I spray paint something, I usually use Krylon and am familiar with the brand.

By the time they cure your hammocks will have came so I'd go with the colors they came rather then worrying about a color scheme right now.

I intend on putting the DIY project storage containers and things in the cage full time, not just as a temporary replacement for the hammocks, and so I'll probably take the time to spray paint them. There are these stackable storage containers that I was thinking of making into a little rat jungle gym to put in their cage, but the containers come in bright primary colored red, yellow, and blue, which is why I was considering the spray paint route.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 08:16:48 PM »

Yea, I heard Rustoleum was safe, but I've never heard of Krylon being safe. I'll probably use Krylon though, considering that when I spray paint something, I usually use Krylon and am familiar with the brand.

I intend on putting the DIY project storage containers and things in the cage full time, not just as a temporary replacement for the hammocks, and so I'll probably take the time to spray paint them. There are these stackable storage containers that I was thinking of making into a little rat jungle gym to put in their cage, but the containers come in bright primary colored red, yellow, and blue, which is why I was considering the spray paint route.

Easter is coming so more of the pastel containers will be available at the dollar area of target and at dollar trees etc.

Offline gawgeouspaws

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:56:33 PM »
Easter is coming so more of the pastel containers will be available at the dollar area of target and at dollar trees etc.

Oh yea! That's a great idea, I'm sure there will be plenty of pinks and greens and blues! Thanks for the tip Kat  :D

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »
I'm not sure all spray paints are safe, but I know for sure that Rustoleum makes a non-toxic paint for children's furniture, and I would bet that Krylon must make one also.  Look for the words "non-toxic" or "child-safe" on the can.  The fourteen-day curing period will then let any possible volatiles out of the paint before they can possibly harm your ratties (even if the paint would be safe for children before then, remember how much smaller and more delicate your ratties are).
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline gawgeouspaws

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:43 AM »
I'm not sure all spray paints are safe, but I know for sure that Rustoleum makes a non-toxic paint for children's furniture, and I would bet that Krylon must make one also.  Look for the words "non-toxic" or "child-safe" on the can.  The fourteen-day curing period will then let any possible volatiles out of the paint before they can possibly harm your ratties (even if the paint would be safe for children before then, remember how much smaller and more delicate your ratties are).

Yeah, I'll probably get all over-cautious like the new rattie mom I am (I've had my girls a little over 3 weeks now) and leave it to cure for like a month, lolz.  ::) I was going to use this Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy Spray stuff that I know is safe and chew proof, but it only comes in various shades of white/off-white, beige, and black, which is definitely not what I was going for. It would be like, all pink and blue and green, then a random hulking off-white plastic storage container, lolz.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:07:16 PM »
I hope you find a more exciting color, then.  Good luck!  :wave2:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline gawgeouspaws

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »
I hope you find a more exciting color, then.  Good luck!  :wave2:
Thanks! I found some cute pinks and other nice colors by Krylon, and I was going to shoot them an e-mail or give 'em a phone call to see if the spray paint I was looking at is safe. ;D