Author Topic: weird bump?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Ratluvr22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Got any Yogies??"
weird bump?
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
Riley developed this about 2 weeks ago. He goes to the vet next Fri for it but was wondering if anyone has an idea as to what it is? It seems to have gotten a tiny bit bigger, It's on his side by his armpit, doesn't seem to bother him at all. Hoping it's not cancer as he's only a yearand a half old  :-[

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: weird bump?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
Whatever it is, it doesn't look like an abscess.  I don't think it's a hematoma, either.  I'll let someone with more experience do a real diagnosis, though.  Whatever it is, good luck!  Sending auspicious thoughts your way. :heart:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Ratluvr22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Got any Yogies??"
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:35:19 AM »
Visited the vet this morning and my hunch was right. I was guessing a hystiositoma sp? Which usually go away within a few months and usually are not cancerous. It measured in at 1 centimeter in diameter and the vet said if it doesn't bleed or get bigger then just watch it for the next month and it should go away but If it does she wants to take it off. Fingers crossed it goes away!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
(Just a guess, but the spelling "histiocytoma" would make sense.)

Yay!  I'm glad it's nothing more serious.  It looks encapsulated, so if she does have to take it out, the operation should be very easy.

My understanding is that symmetrical, evenly-colored growths like that are generally non-cancerous.  But if the shape should happen to become irregular, or the color blotchy and variegated, alert the vet as soon as possible.  (It's true for people, anyway, and I'd be surprised if it didn't apply to rats, as well.)
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n