Author Topic: Dog issues, Need advice  (Read 1315 times)

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
Dog issues, Need advice
« on: February 07, 2013, 04:22:54 PM »
Okay, i am an animal rescuer. I have quite a few dogs, but have stopped taking in dogs for awhile. I have the dogs at my house and my moms house. They all get proper care and attention. But im having behavioral issues from one dog which is causing health issues in another.  Here is the situation.

Ozzy my Rottweiler/sharpei (the dog in my avatar) is becoming very aggressive with my pit/Sharpei LilyRose. These two are housed at my moms because they MUST have a fenced in yard because Ozzy will bite, and Lily likes to destroy things that belong to the neighbors.
Okay Ozzy keeps trying to "do the dirty" with Lily but they are both spayed/neutered. He has her so stressed out that she is having a really bad Demodex flare up. Mom also caught him guarding the water dishes from her, and i have to stand out there during feeding times because he keeps taking her food. Im planning on having a fence put up at my house tomorrow so i can bring Lily home with me. I feel bad about seperating her from Ozzy because it will leave him alone. He use to get along good with her until Pippy passed away. Any advice is greatly appreciated, Regarding his behavior and how to treat her flare up of demodex
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
Re: Dog issues, Need advice
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
The only thing I can think of is that with Pippy's passing, the pack hierarchy is changing. Was Pippy the alpha of the group? (I realize this is a really late response to your question, but..yeah.)
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »
Ozzy was always the pack leader, but when Pippy was alive Pippy and Ozzy were real close, they snuggled and played and Lily just done her own thing. But now Ozzy wont leave her alone. It got so bad i had to get my dad and uncle to come over and put up a fence at my house and i took her home with me, now my Shihtzu keeps doing it too, so Lily has her own bedroom, and they alternate going outside. My Shihtzu and my English Shepherd want to fight over her, but the English Shepherd doesnt bother her, he just keeps the shihtzu off her. Im bout drove crazy with these dogs lol
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »

My advice would be a Thundershirt for Lily, and crates and training for everyone.  I've heard good things about the Thundershirts helping with anxiety.

Training the shihtzu not to mount Lily is going to be the biggest help.  If he's not allowed to mount her, then there shouldn't be fights, and she shouldn't be so stressed out.  You can use a tie-down (short length of cord with dog leash clips on both ends) for time-outs.  If there is mounting, then there's a time out.  He'll figure out soon that it's not worth it.  Crates for when dogs aren't being actively supervised. 

Offline E-marie

• Love my girls! <3
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »

My advice would be a Thundershirt for Lily, and crates and training for everyone.  I've heard good things about the Thundershirts helping anxiety

Nakedrats my grandma tried to do that with her extreme anxiety and it didn't work at all. But that's probably just Kaylee... she was a wierd dog...
Humping is also showing dominance so my guess is since Pippy died, Ozzy doesn't know what to do and will try to remain alpha.

Training the shihtzu not to mount Lily is going to be the biggest help.  If he's not allowed to mount her, then there shouldn't be fights, and she shouldn't be so stressed out.  You can use a tie-down (short length of cord with dog leash clips on both ends) for time-outs.  If there is mounting, then there's a time out.  He'll figure out soon that it's not worth it.  Crates for when dogs aren't being actively supervised. 
Yes train Ozzy not to mount for the reasons that nakedrats has.

Yes I realize late reply
Lilly, Shadow RIP Daisy, Star, Peanut, Amber, Ruby