Author Topic: Need asprin or Metacam dosage for Diver  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
Need asprin or Metacam dosage for Diver
« on: February 17, 2013, 03:19:38 PM »
Diver seemed to have hurt his front leg somehow today. He can put weight on it, but he does hold it up when in a stationary position. He's not eating either.
I am broke at the moment and can't afford the emergency vet but I am planning on going to the regular vet first thing in the morning at their earliest available appointment. 
I am trying to make him comfortable for the remainder of the day..
I looked up the dosage for the aspirin  and found that it's 5mg for every lbs of body weight. Diver is roughly 65-70 lbs. So 65 (to be safe)  times 5 is 325 so one adult aspirin  or 4 baby aspirin should be about right right?

My parents may have some metacam. If I were to give him that instead, what would the dosage be?

On a different note, Diver did get into a canister of formula and ate probably 50% of it. Could this be related to an iron overdose? He did have some diarrhea or he threw up at some point in the middle of the night but is showing no other symptoms except this leg thing. He is very quiet for him, but if he's in pain then that makes sense.

If it could be an iron overdose I will find the money for the E-vet, but it just doesn't seem to add up to that..
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Need asprin or Metacam dosage for Diver
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:43:26 PM »

I looked up "dog ate infant formula" and apparently it happened to other people.  Someone called a vet and apparently iron poisoning is not a concern- just horrible diarrhea/gas from all the dairy.  If you call the E-vet, they should be able to talk to you about it.

I have no helpful suggestions on the pain meds.

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:11:57 AM »
yeah, that's what the E-vet told me, and I looked up how much Iron would cause an overdose for Diver and he would have to eat several canisters of it. He's still not putting any weight on his front leg. I am thinking he caught it on the couch or something while we weren't home. THis is one of the reasons I am half thinking about crating him again. That, and he won't let anyone else other than my husband or I into the house if we aren't around, which includes the landlord, and the the fire department one time.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 12:16:36 PM »
My Muffin was on maintenance aspirin for the last few years of his life due to arthritis.  He got a regular strength (325 mg) pill twice a day and was about 45 pounds.  I think that dose would be appropriate for Diver as well, even though he's a fair bit larger - I wouldn't go higher without specific input from the vet.

However, if he hasn't taken it before, be careful with aspirin, as it can cause stomach trouble.  The enteric-coated is better than the standard formula, but some dogs can't even tolerate that.  My mom's girl Lily had a terrible multi-day bout of bloody vomiting from just one pill when she'd sprained her wrist.  Since you mentioned he'd been vomiting recently, it's something to think about.

Have you felt over his leg for an injury?  Try bending all the joints, gently rubbing and squeezing all over and see if he reacts.  You can compare it to his other leg in terms of size and shape to look for inflammation, as injuries tend to be warm and swollen.  For most leg injuries, there isn't a lot a vet can do - just manage pain and recommend rest.  A wrap or splint to stabilize the leg may help, but I wouldn't go that route without a vet's supervision.  Crating him may be the best way to enforce rest in a large, active dog.

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 02:29:52 PM »
So I gave him an aspirin last night (one adult @ 325 mg). He was laid back this morning and still favoring it. By this afternoon he was putting full weight back on it. Yesterday there was some heat in it and a bit of swelling. As of now, the heat is gone and so is the swelling. He's been running and jumping around without issues so I am assuming it was muscle related, maybe he tweaked it?

He hasn't had any issues with his stomach or throwing up today and he's eating normally again. I am hopeful that all of the formula has ran its way out of his system.