Author Topic: Mucus Blood  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
  • They all have my heart...
    • Robin's Hammocks
Mucus Blood
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:31:44 PM »
I am taking our cat in this week but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what it was or could be...

For a good *year* or more our cat Henry Lee, after pooping every once in awhile would "top" his poop off with a bunch (about a spoonful) of mucus blood. I wasn't thinking much of it. Was thinking more his glands then anything even though that is usually a light brown mucus in cats or dogs. But it wasn't happening all the time.

But the past 2 months have been concern finally starting because his poop is a light tan brown that starts out as water diarrhea and the last bit always comes out as a normal hard poop and then lots of mucus blood.

Well I finally have called up for an appointment because instead of every once in awhile it is most every time he uses the bathroom now. Plus there is diarrhea and this morning there was a lot more blood then there ever has been and this time it wasn't on his poop, it was like he got in there just to push mucus blood out.

There has been no changes in him what so ever. None at all. He is 2yrs old, going on 3 and a big ol fat cat.This has been pretty much happening since he was a baby kitten (and was seeing a vet, all of his shots, ect) but I always assumed it to be his glands and it was happening only every once in awhile. But now it is a lot more common and a lot more.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Mucus Blood
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:17:27 PM »
Have you looked into feline IBD?  It's common enough that there are a few support forums out there for it.

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
  • They all have my heart...
    • Robin's Hammocks
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:14:41 PM »
He went in today. Full physical game back perfectly healthy. Two main things stick out to our vet right now. Either a parasite (i can't remember the name but he said it is harmless). Which isn't worms or anything you'd see. He said all it would do is irritate the last bit of his intestine which is the colon and that would cause the mucus blood discharge at the end. So once we can collect a stool sample we will take it down for testing. He said if that comes back clean then it most likely is just emotionally caused (irrital bowls)... stress or worry.... (crazy to think about a cat doing that, specially Henry, he is like a total laid back hippie cat). But he said if it comes back clean we can just try adding more litter boxes to our house since we have 3 cats and only have 2 boxes. He said that might be a little stressful if any of our cats are territorial.

But he said no tumors or funny stuff causing it. He said if it was tumors / cancer it would be in his stool and 24/7 not just a couple times a week and not just at the end of his poo. He also said that it being mucusy pretty much tells him it is just the last inch or so of his track that is causing it so irritation.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:17:25 PM »
Glad all the tests came back good!  Hopefully it'll be something as easy to treat as a parasite!

Offline Sidders

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 12:29:12 AM »
My male cat who lives with my parents had the same thing once in a while. It stopped after I moved out with my tortoiseshell female who was terrorizing him (she would even hear him use the litter box and hide behind the corner of the wall to ambush him). :-\

Cats can be sensitive creatures. Maybe something actually is bothering him?

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
I had a very similar problem with my dogs.  There was never any blood, but oftentimes when they pooped... it went from a normal looking poo to a soft poo and to diarrhea and it was always topped off with a big dollop of mucus.  Sometimes there were would be more more mucus than poop, sometimes it would just be literally *explosive* diarrhea.  They were having accidents in the house almost every day.  We went to the vet several times, all tests came back negative, but we tried various medicines anyways just in case with no luck.  We switched their diet as a last resort (from Merrick to ToTW) and boom, everyone was fine within a couple of days.  Obviously it's a bit different, but maybe something to consider.

Mucusy stool is pretty common in humans with IBS, so if it's the same in cats, that would make sense, too.  The blood is just kind of scary!