Author Topic: Behavioral  (Read 900 times)

Offline Kenzie

• Posts Too Much!
  • The Krusty Krab PIZZA Is THE PIZZA for YOU and ME!
Behavioral
« on: February 19, 2013, 02:16:01 AM »
Let me start by saying that my room mate has two cats, and I have two. One of them is staying with my boyfriend, and MY cat is in the home with me, and her name is Mia.

(April) When me and my room mate first moved in, she had one cat and I only had my rats. Betsy was not super affectionate, but would ocassionally come over to cuddle and get scratched. I spent some time with her, because my room mate didn't. This was her first cat and I don't think she understood that cats need that socialization and interaction just like dogs. So her social skills are less than impressive, BUT my room mate also didn't socialize her and doesn't understand how to properly hold/pet cats. She's gotten better, but Betsy.

(Late may)About a month after we moved in together, I got a kitten, who is named Mia. Mia used to terrorize Betsy. Chase her around, and try to play with her, etc. She came to me very early from my room mate's boyfriend's vet clinic, where the whole litter + momma was dumped, and apparently they were just going to euth the whole litter and momma, so I opted to take one. Anyways, I've concluded that she once had "Single kitten syndrome". Intro's were not done properly because room mate wouldn't listen to me and wanted to coddle Mia. She's spoiled now. :P Betsy mostly avoids Mia, and hides most of the day

(Beginning of November) I pick up an injured cat from a shopping center and nurse him back to health. Attempt finding his owner, it never happens and some shady crap happens, so I begin to try to rehome him. He's dubbed "The Mogget Creature/The Creature Mogget", usually I call him "Mogget". Mogget HATES HATES HATES Betsy, but will tolerate and even play with Mia. But he will attack Betsy. Not play attack, like actual "I want you to die" attacking. I would alternate between putting one of them up, and letting the other roam. Mogget stayed in my room while I was gone. Betsy is now even more a recluse then ever. She'll come up to me for pets, usually only when I call her though. Runs from the other cats. Mia has stopped chasing her by this point, since her single kitten syndrome has been checked my Mogget.

(Mid-december) Room mate brings home a cat from her clinic, her name is Mary Jane. MJ picks fights with EVERYONE. She is very aggressive but will not attack. She just chases after Betsy. Mogget and Mia don't take her crap and don't respond. Mia will hiss back and swat but never with claws, Mogget will respond aggressively.

Fast forward to now. I have moved Mogget to boyfriend's house till I move out in June. Betsy is almost always hiding inside. Mary Jane still picks fights with everyone and Mia doesn't care what happens.

What can I do? It seems everyone picks on Betsy. I'm getting her a cat tree, I give her treats and I encourage her to play, but it doesn't to be helping much because the other two get in the way. Betsy has a lot of potential, and I'm trying to show my room mate if you jut give Betsy some attention, the tension alleviates a little and she becomes more confident. Before any of the other cats came in, Betsy was a relatively normal cat, who didn't like butt-pets (She will bite if you pet her butt or pick her up).

Will pheromone collars help? Is it beneficial to put the other cats away while I play with Betsy? I am just lost, and I feel it would be unfair to Betsy if my room mate rehomes her.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Behavioral
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:44:18 AM »
If you are moving out soon and NOT taking Betsy with you and it is you not your roomie willing to put the work in with Betsy it seems the best thing for her would be for your roomie to rehome her to someone who will work with her, and perhaps where she can be a single cat.

Offline Kenzie

• Posts Too Much!
  • The Krusty Krab PIZZA Is THE PIZZA for YOU and ME!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
If you are moving out soon and NOT taking Betsy with you and it is you not your roomie willing to put the work in with Betsy it seems the best thing for her would be for your roomie to rehome her to someone who will work with her, and perhaps where she can be a single cat.

I'm trying the education route with her first, since she never did proper introductions. Ultimately if none of it works, then rehoming Betsy is obviously the better choice. I want to convince her to at least put in the effort for Betsy to feel safer/more confident.

Offline piratejennish

• Rats=<3
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:21:21 AM »
I would recommend a pheromone diffuser (think like glade plug in for cats) or spray rather than collars - some cats get really agitated from having a collar on though some don't care. I work in a vets office and we have Feliway and for some cats it really can work. It's supposed to be the same chemical signal basically that they give off when they cheek mark things - supposed to be like a 'relaxed and groovy' kitty vibe.
Currently owned by: 1 ratty loving boyfriend {Kelly} 1 dog {Mokie} 5 cats {Missy, Diva, Celeste, Zaphod Beeblebrox and Squid} and one little ratty {Tulip}

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 01:55:53 PM »
You can try putting homeo-pet anti anxety in the water for all of them. I have used it an it does work. I  never had much luck with feliway (8 cats here) but it doesnt hurt to try.

The cats that need more play  at least 15 min a day each are the bullies. I can tell when my bullies dont get enough play of chasing the lazer dot or the feathers on a pole. They chase the runt Molly. I have been busy and slaked off. I was woke up in the middle of the night by kitties knocking things off the counter while Molly was trying to get to her safe place on top of the kitchen cupboards.
It was so loud that the kid living with us thought someone broke in.  ::) I also squirt them when I can but it just leads to them being ugly when no one is around.

I also make sure the victim is fully weaponized and the bullies get their claws clipped several times a week.  :cheeky: