Author Topic: Sturdiness of Martin's Playpen  (Read 4487 times)

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Sturdiness of Martin's Playpen
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »
I want to get a Martin's Playpen (the 44" x 44") in the future so I can take my 3 ferrets out to the park and not worry about them running off, getting tangled in leashes, dogs, children, cars. They love digging in the dirt and stuff so a playpen would be perfect and I love Martin's products anyways. I was  wondering if anyone who had one would think they're sturdy enough to handle jumping 2-3lbs animals without it being knocked over? Of course, I wouldn't ever leave them unsupervised in an environment like that, but I'd rather prevent it by finding a different product than spend the money and suddenly have a missing ferret.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Sturdiness of Martin's Playpen
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »
You can order an extra top for it to use as a bottom to make it enclosed and further prevent escapes.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
That would kind of defeat the purpose of taking it outside for them to play in.  :-\ I'm not worried about them digging under it, none of them have that kind of determination/attention spanned. I'm more worried about them jumping around and knocking it over.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »
if outside get some tent stakes and attach it to ground with those?  http://www.target.com/p/coleman-12-in-steel-tent-stakes/-/A-12034516?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|12034516&CPNG=Sports&kpid=12034516&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=12034516

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 03:56:39 PM »
if outside get some tent stakes and attach it to ground with those?  http://www.target.com/p/coleman-12-in-steel-tent-stakes/-/A-12034516?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|12034516&CPNG=Sports&kpid=12034516&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=12034516

oo, that's a really good idea!

Offline ibinitch

• It's funnier in Enochian.
    • The Creative Owl
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 04:08:30 AM »
I purchase this for my Penny. It comes with ground anchors and its very sturdy. I'm 5'4 and this comes about to my hip.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H8YTJI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bri, furmom to chihuhuas Princess & Daisy, rats Ruby & Piper & ferrets Penny, LD, Chester & Willow.
Rest Peacefully Maggie, Charlie, Minnie & Butters.
~ My Etsy Shop

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 03:50:02 PM »
I purchase this for my Penny. It comes with ground anchors and its very sturdy. I'm 5'4 and this comes about to my hip.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H8YTJI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had looked at that one too. Does it collapse or come apart easily?

Offline ibinitch

• The Creative Owl
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »

I had looked at that one too. Does it collapse or come apart easily?

It folds up flat. I can take a picture to show you if you'd like
Bri, furmom to chihuhuas Princess & Daisy, rats Ruby & Piper & ferrets Penny, LD, Chester & Willow.
~ My Etsy Shop

Offline ibinitch

• The Creative Owl
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 10:53:16 PM »
Well I put Penny in the pen yesterday and she wiggled her way out of it. The bar spacing is too big :doh: At least I can be put to use for our Chihuahuas lol. Either way it is sturdy and folds up flat :yelcutelaugh:
~ My Etsy Shop

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 08:35:54 AM »
Haha, awesome! Hm, I might have to keep looking. My females are tiny compared to my male and both of them would definitely try and work their ways out of it.

Offline blackdragon110583

• Gotta love my Ratties! and piggies! and Hammies!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 09:01:43 AM »
your main problem will be them trying to climb it. I have 7 and though some of them don't try, most of them do try to climb out and they can. if your really wanting to give it a try, you might want to invest in a top for it. otherwise you will have to keep a very good eye on them.
Ratties: Jinx, Gus-Gus and Cookie
Piggies: Cupcake, Care Bear, cleo, snickers and rayne
Ferret: Spaz, Bruno, Bruce, Panda, Princess, Kilo and Baby
Dog: Winnie, my golden retrieved/basset rescue from TCAR.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »
The Martin's Playpen has a lid which is why I was looking into it originally. My boyfriend and I measured it out on the floor and he feels it isn't large enough so I'm not sure what he wants.  ::) My girls are climbers (one will climb on top of the Fiesty Ferret if she can) so a lid is definitely needed or something they can't get their claws into.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 01:27:50 PM »
The Martin's Playpen has a lid which is why I was looking into it originally. My boyfriend and I measured it out on the floor and he feels it isn't large enough so I'm not sure what he wants.  ::) My girls are climbers (one will climb on top of the Fiesty Ferret if she can) so a lid is definitely needed or something they can't get their claws into.

What about checking how much it would be for a custom size martins playpen 44x66 maybe?   

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 05:14:57 PM »
My large Martin's Playpen is very sturdy, especially once the top is on securely.  The cage comes with several clips that are very strong.  They're kind of a pain in the rear, so I use them to secure the back half of the lid that I don't open often, and then use 3 small bungee cords to hold down the front half.  I personally would feel completely comfortable using it outside, and often leave the rats in it (inside) for several hours and sometimes even overnight with no issues.

Here's a video of Wolfgang trying to get to the rats in the playpen (he's not being aggressive, he just wants to play).  He scratches at the cage through much of the video, hooking his nails into the mesh and pulling pretty hard, and the cage hardly even moves.  My 70 pound ACD also does this on occasion while he's stalking Nakie (he's a creep) and the results are pretty much the same.

I love my playpen!