Author Topic: Penny  (Read 2594 times)

Offline ibinitch

• It's funnier in Enochian.
    • The Creative Owl
Penny
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:23:15 AM »
I became a ferret mom quite unexpectedly a couple days ago. She is almost 8 months old and so adorable. We're still learning about her and about ferrets in general. She hops and flops all around my room while making her little sounds. I have to say, I am in love already. My dad -whom doesn't like my rats- loves her! I will probably look into getting her a friend after she's settled in. I have no idea what kind of cage hers is as it was the one given to me with her but I just took the plunge and ordered her a DFN.

Here she is!

Bri, furmom to chihuhuas Princess & Daisy, rats Ruby & Piper & ferrets Penny, LD, Chester & Willow.
Rest Peacefully Maggie, Charlie, Minnie & Butters.
~ My Etsy Shop

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Penny
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:45:15 AM »
Congrats!   Not a DFN, but if you post a picture of the whole cage maybe someone can ID it.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »
Awww, congrats! I got into ferrets unexpectedly too. It seems to happen that way!

I'd recommend picking up Ferrets for Dummies if you're looking for reliable information. I haven't found too many active forums but Ferrets for Dummies is the best book, hands down.

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:36:40 AM »
Awww, what a cutey!
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline ibinitch

• The Creative Owl
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 04:34:15 AM »
That's not even the whole cage. It unfold to double that size but its so awkward and a killer on the back to clean and decorate.

I just ordered a copy of the ferrets for dummies on amazon. Thank you for the suggestion :thumbsup2:

It's hard getting decent pictures of her because when she's out, she's all over the place. She wasn't allowed out of the cage time at her previous home. We purchase a pen to contain her a bit cause she's a natural snoop lol. It seems she's at least 90% litter box trained so I'm very excited about that.
Bri, furmom to chihuhuas Princess & Daisy, rats Ruby & Piper & ferrets Penny, LD, Chester & Willow.
~ My Etsy Shop

Offline blackdragon110583

• Gotta love my Ratties! and piggies! and Hammies!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »
your cage is the kennel aire cat playpen cage. I have one but its so bulky to clean with my 7 fuzzbutts that I don't use it. My boys also aren't completely litter trained so cleaning this was a everyday thing. Great cage if they use the litter box reliably. lots of room and you can easily mod it to add levels.
Ratties: Jinx, Gus-Gus and Cookie
Piggies: Cupcake, Care Bear, cleo, snickers and rayne
Ferret: Spaz, Bruno, Bruce, Panda, Princess, Kilo and Baby
Dog: Winnie, my golden retrieved/basset rescue from TCAR.

Offline ibinitch

• The Creative Owl
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 01:28:53 AM »
Update: I adopted Penny a friend about a month ago. He was so skinny and his cage was filthy! His previous owners told me he was at least a year old and litter box trained. He's neither! Penny won't be a year until July and she was almost twice his size. He is doing so much better and is now bigger than Penny! He still refuses to use the litter boxes though, any suggestions? Even though I've had him for weeks, he still doesn't have a name so if you have any name suggestions, they are definetly welcome! He is a sweet, goofy, and a lot calmer than Penny but they are getting along good. I'm hoping I can move them in together by July.

Here are some new pictures of my weasels!

The new guy

Playtime

Penny

He loves his strawberry hut

Penny

Little Dude

He loves this ducky, he carries it everywhere

It was so warm he didn't sleep inside his hut
~ My Etsy Shop

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 10:51:18 AM »
What a cutie!

For the litter box stuff, I babysit them after they wake up. Mine head right to the corner where the litterbox is but will stick their butt next to it. So I'll move them and praise them. In the beginning, they got a lick of some treat when they used it (whether or not I moved them). We try to make it a rule in our house that there's no play time until you poop.

In the cage, I keep food in one corner, water in another, a cat tree in one, and the litter box in the other (the top half is sleeping and I've never had them mix it up). Basically, I force them to use the corner that I want them to use.

Are you using those triangle boxes? Maybe the lip is too high for him?

Offline ibinitch

• The Creative Owl
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »
New pictures!!

He was much more interested in the packaging than the new toys and treats  ::)

This is how he greets me everytime I walk into the room

Waiting out one of our recent bad storms 

I bought another DFN to make a quad which will be assembled soon and I got some of the low clear tubs to make litter pans out of. I'm hopefully he will keep using it. 
~ My Etsy Shop