Author Topic: Help! My poor rat is not doing well:(  (Read 744 times)

Offline Nrrdgrrl

• <3
Help! My poor rat is not doing well:(
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:46:31 AM »
Hello my timone is a two and a half year old male. He lives with an 10 month old male, remy. Up till this point there's been some minor scuffles but nothing big. Since last week, remy has turned into a severely aggressive bully. Timone already has some health issues (myco and a little blind /deaf) last week he tore a huge cut in timones shoulder, I could see muscle and everything. We took him to the vet, and they cleaned it and said it would heal on its own. They also gave us some batril and some doxy for his myco. Then I saw several more cuts on him yesterday as well as some large *clumps* of fur. So I separated the two. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm nervous that timone has a health condition causeing the cuts / clumps of fur, and I've separated for no reason:(. Please help!

Splinter (2.5), Newt and Picket (3 weeks) my rats :)
Calico- 13 year old kittie Galaxie- 5 year old sheltie

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Help! My poor rat is not doing well:(
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:32:27 AM »
Typically once it's that bad people do recommend separating them, so you did good there. At least he will be able to heal up that way. I'm guessing Remy's finally come into his own hormonally, and he might need a neuter to calm down. Some rats just can't handle having so many hormones without issue.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Nrrdgrrl

• <3
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
That's what I was thinking... I'm worried though after a neuter he will still be aggressive:( or that they will have been separated too long:( how should I go about it? Introduce them slowly again ?  He's definitely getting neutered though. He's been a frustrating rat. Remy is an adorable dumbo Rex, but he hates cuddling or interaction of any kind:( my first rat ever that doesn't like people:(

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »
The separation period isn't too long but you'll definitely want to start with slow intros over again. You have to give him time to let the rest of his hormones pass through his body (along with letting the surgery site heal).

I had a boy who bit people - bad enough once that my bf still has the scar almost 2 years later. We got him neutered within 2 weeks of the incident and he turned into a super cuddly squish bug. Most of the time, it nips the aggression in the bud and I've only seen it not work very rarely.

Lots of luck!

Offline Nrrdgrrl

• <3
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
Thanks so much, I'm lucky to have a great ratty vet here in southern Ontario, so ill be booking a neuter this week.

Offline Nrrdgrrl

• <3
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
I figured I'd update this for anyone who is searching, It was so long ago, so i no longer have either remy or timone with me :( but, the neuter was a great success. Remy turned into an adorable little squish ball and was one of my cuddliest rats ever. he stopped attacking and started helping old timone out. When Remy was about 2 he started getting large tumors on his head. we would have them removed only for them to grow back. we eventually had to make the decision to put him to sleep, a week before christmas 2014.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:14:24 PM »
Thank you for the update. Glad the neuter helped your young boy lighten your old man's life in his golden months.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Alpha1

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 11:06:26 AM »
So sorry you had to put Remy to sleep, that is never easy for anyone. Thank you for updating us.