Author Topic: What should I expect for an adoption fee for a dog?  (Read 1432 times)

Offline KainRacure

• DOH!
What should I expect for an adoption fee for a dog?
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »
I was randomly looking at petfinder for dogs because my GF has been wanting one for ever and I saw a very cute black dachshund puppy that might fit the bill. I look and it says that the "minimum donation" is $395.

I was blown away by this as I expected a couple hundred but no where near that.

Is this a normal price or an I just way off on my expectations?

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: What should I expect for an adoption fee for a dog?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »
It can really depend on a lot of things.

Is it a breed specific rescue?

Is it one that does a lot of transportation work?

What do they do with the dogs before homed (bloodwork, shots, fixed, training etc)

What area you are in - if you look on petfinder you can get an idea of what quite a few in your area charge.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:40:40 PM »
Sounds like a backyard breeder. I personally would stay away from poorly bred "purebreds". Puppies are a handful. I prefer a smart mutt from a shelter. They tend to be healther. Breeds have lots of expensive health issues and are kind of dumb to the point of not quite getting the hang of potty training.

Offline KainRacure

• DOH!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:49:38 PM »
The place is not a breed specific shelter and it seems that other places in the area charge between $125 and $250.

With this dog specifically he has been neutered, microchipped, vaccinated, heartworm and fecal checked, dewormed, and is on flea and heartworm preventatives.

This place seems to charge differently per dog but they are all around $300 - $400 and all have the same stuff done with them.

I was just wondering if this was the norm for prices or if this place is just being insane.

I agree that some purebreds are not worth it at all forky, and I am well aware of breed specific health issues. I just liked this guy cuz he looked cute being all short n long.

I am not exactly going to get one any time soon but I want to research and see what I am looking at because eventually we will be getting one.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:07:38 AM »
What would all that cost at your vet?

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
My local Humane Society runs $79 - $199 for puppies & dogs.

Personally, it sounds extreme as an adoption fee but I've never adopted a dog and it sounds like they have done a lot of medical work on the dog.

Offline flannel

• Posts Too Much!
  • When I grow up I wanna be a dumbo!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:48:08 AM »
If it's not a breeder or a private owner, I'm thinking you're just covering the bills for the medical care this particular dog has received.  All that here at my vet would probably cost me closer to $500, so if it's a legit rescue it makes sense that you're covering costs for the animal you're adopting.  It does seem steep but who knows, they may get next to nothing in the way of donations and have to cover stuff this way  :dontknow:  If you're willing to fork over that much cash, it definitely tells them you're more serious than someone who isn't!
"Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform."
- The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:45:22 AM »
The animal shelter here charges $65 for dogs and cats, they are all UTD on vaccines as well as spayed and neutered, and dogs are HW tested cats are tested for feline leukemia. The manager there will raise the adoption fees on "Designer" and "Teacup" dogs. That was one of the reasons i quit working there. They got in 4 or 5 puggle pups and charged $250 and up for them. These pups didnt have anything more done to them than the other "mixed breed" dogs. I believe they should have been given the same adoption fee as the rest of the dogs, because it is stated on their adoption posters that adoption fee is $65.
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 10:46:15 AM »
My local shelter's dog adoption fee is $95. They allow people to sponsor dogs for whatever amount they can, but the lowest possible adoption fee is $55. The only time they raise adoption fees is if the dog has been received heartworm treatment - this costs them quite a bit, so they have to raise the dog's adoption fee. Usually it's still under $200. Each fee includes the same stuff - spay/neuter, up to date on shots, microchip, rabies shot, medical eval, etc.

My local Greyhound rescue's adoption fee is just under $300. Includes the same stuff as the shelter. Well, one Greyhound rescue includes a microchip, the other makes you pay $30 extra.
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Caresmom5

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 12:28:18 PM »
Our local humane society charges $130-$250. One county over (which is only 5 minutes from me) their humane society charges $60 maximum. Many local rescue groups charge closer to $300 though. I would be very hesitant to pay $400. Yes, they need to recoup their costs, but I would be really sure it's a legit place first.
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 12:38:43 PM »
What is the rescue called?
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline KainRacure

• DOH!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 02:00:06 PM »
This is the dog I was looking at
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25444649

The shelter is Wish bone Canine Rescue
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/IL542.html

I think I have figured it out.
I looked at more of their animals today and found a few that were $195. I also read on their website and they say "The donation for older dogs or those with special needs may be minimal; the donation for puppies and purebreds may be much more."

He apparently is also a mini dachshund and a puppy so he is considered a "very in-demand, highly adoptable animal" and thus they are going to charge more for him. They say this is to cover costs for other animals who are less adoptable such as those with disabilities.

I hadn't previously read through their adoption process on their actual website as I was not specifically getting one right away.

Also I want to point out that every dog in their shelter gets the same exact medical care according to their petfinder listings and the website no matter what the adoption donation is.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:03:31 PM by KainRacure »

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 02:58:53 PM »
In my area, adoption fees are usually about that much. Much of there fees cover running the shelter, all vet fees, neutering costs, microchipping, and treatment they need, plus usually transportation.

395 seems pretty reasonable to me when you consider all that.
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 12:33:25 AM »
The no kill shelter I volunteer at charges two hundred and fifty dollars for a dog, it's a little less for the second dog if you adopt their kennel mate.