Author Topic: Vet recommended myco treatment protocol.  (Read 5231 times)

Offline defzeppard

• Posts Too Much!
Vet recommended myco treatment protocol.
« on: January 19, 2013, 12:56:21 PM »
Ok, talked my vet last night.  The dosages the vet gave me for Zithro were correct.  The doses were 10mg per Kg not pound.  But, he also mentioned something about a myco treatment protocol that he came across.  He was nice enough to send me a copy of it on Facebook, I've copied and pasted it below.

Rat Chronic Respiratory Disease Protocol

Stage 1: Sneezing, coughing, increased lung sounds. No weight loss or no exercise intolerance. Normal activity.

Doxycycline 5mg/kg PO BID 14 days
Azithromycin 5-10mg/kg PO SID 14 days (compounded anhydrous formulation 50mg/ml 90 day expiry)

Lower respiratory wheezing Theophylline 10-20mg/kg PO SID to TID permanently (compounded 200mg/ml 180 day expiry)

Rattling/stertor (upper respiratory) No treatment if only clinical sign If in conjunction with other signs, then steam/nebulise with saline only as need.

Stage 1 (relapse): Start doxycycline and azithromycin at home on initial signs, then revisit if more than 3 months for repeat azithromycin (only stable for 90 days). If within 3 months, then call to advise return of signs to be noted on file.

Stage 2: Mild to moderate weight loss and/or activity level in addition to signs stage 1.

Stage 1 medications: Doxycycline 5mg/kg PO BID 14 days Azithromycin 5-10mg/kg PO SID 14 days (compounded anhydrous formulation 50mg/ml 90 day expiry)
 PLUS: Meloxicam 0.2mg/kg PO BID 7days

Lower respiratory wheezing Theophylline 10-20mg/kg PO SID to TID permanently (compounded 200mg/ml 180 day expiry)

Rattling/stertor (upper respiratory) Steam/nebulise with saline only as need.

Crackles/gurgles Nebulise with hypertonic saline BID 15 minutes 3-7 days. Be aware that may be, or can become, irritant.

Stage 3: Mild to moderate weight loss and/or activity level Mild to moderate exercise intolerance Sneezing, coughing, increased lung sounds

Stage 2 medications:
 Doxycycline 5mg/kg PO BID 14 days
 Azithromycin 5-10mg/kg PO SID 14 days (compounded anhydrous formulation 50mg/ml 90 day expiry)
 Meloxicam 0.2mg/kg PO BID 7days Consider changing antibiotics if suspicion of secondary infection.

Options: Clavulox (12.5mg/kg PO BID) stop azithromycin Enrofloxacin 10mg/kg BID PO

One puff of ipratropium BID

IF ON ENROFLOXACIN REDUCE THEOPHYLLINE DOSE BY 30% AS FLUOROQUINOLONES WILL REDUCE METABOLISM OF THEOPHYLLINE.

Crackles/gurgles Nebulise with hypertonic saline BID 15 minutes 3-7 days. Be aware that may be, or can become, irritant.

Stage 4: Severe exercise intolerance Sneezing, coughing, increased lung sounds.  Marked anorexia, extreme depression.

Hospitalise on all oral drugs of stage 3. Consider nebulizing 3 x hypertonic saline (7% solution 15 minutes) 2x gentamicin 2 x ipratropium (one puff as needed)

Consider changing to doxycycline injectable to reduce oral medication levels.
Consider starting only on nebulisation until more stable.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:16:14 PM by Marybelle »
Mommy to: Badger, Skinner, and Edward
At the Bridge: Nicodemus, Pearcy, Crosby, Ozzy, Montee, Marty, DeMartini, Gizmo and Bandit

Offline defzeppard

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Vet recommended myco treatment protocol.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 01:19:21 PM »
One thing to add to this.  It is from a series of posts on VIN.com from Dr. Tom Donnelly who is board certified in laboratory animal medicine.  And he is also listed as a source on Ratguide.
Mommy to: Badger, Skinner, and Edward
At the Bridge: Nicodemus, Pearcy, Crosby, Ozzy, Montee, Marty, DeMartini, Gizmo and Bandit

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 01:44:01 PM »
Thank you! :)

Offline TheBandit

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fuzzy Dudes!
    • Bandit's House
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »
Wow, this is great!

Ratless. :(

Missing Erebus, Quiz, Bandit, Appa and Janus. Rest well, my loves. You were all magical and beautiful, and I'll miss you always.

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »
IF ON ENROFLOXACIN REDUCE THEOPHYLLINE DOSE BY 30% AS FLUOROQUINOLONES WILL REDUCE METABOLISM OF THEOPHYLLINE.

I believe this should be modified to read "...as fluoroquinolones will *increase* metabolism of theophylline."

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 02:32:55 AM »

I believe this should be modified to read "...as fluoroquinolones will *increase* metabolism of theophylline."

No, actually; it's correct as it stands.  Baytril and the other fluoroquinolones reduce the metabolism of the theophylline--i.e., they interfere with its being cleared from the system--so there is more theophylline remaining in the system, and you should therefore reduce the dose in order to keep the theophylline from building up beyond the proper level.

If the effect were reversed, and these drugs increased the metabolism of theophylline, then you would need to give more in order to keep enough theophylline in the system to do its job.

Hope that's clear.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  4m0f15r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Whaturmuva

• http://simplyhomemade.org/
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:09:58 AM »
Good post. Another thing to print out and put in the care book at home.