Author Topic: Mast Cell Tumors (grade 1)  (Read 662 times)

Offline alimartin280

• Collide NYC
Mast Cell Tumors (grade 1)
« on: March 01, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »
So early last year we found out Steeley had Mast Cell tumors all over her body. We brought her in to have surgery to remove the lumps and to find out the grade. Luckily they are just grade one. Grade one only has a 10% mortality rate.

Steeley after her first surgery.

She ended up going back in because she ripped a stitch open and got more bumps removed while they fixed that.

Then of course we found more bumps and went and got those removed...

Now she has grown more. I dont think I want to put her through surgery again, or myself. It was a horrible experience for the both of us. She has pretty bad separation anxiety and apparently so do I. The nights she stayed over at the vet I cried myself to sleep worrying about her.

Any time an animal goes under anesthesia there is a risk they wont come back. The bumps are small and they dont bother or affect her in anyway. The only reason I want to get rid of them is because they are cancerous.

What do you suggest? Is it worth the surgery? Are there any other (homeopathic) things I can do for her?

Offline Enola Reverof

Re: Mast Cell Tumors (grade 1)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:43:44 PM »
My Boston Terrier, Jake, had a mast cell tumor removed last year. It was a grade 2. Luckily he only had the one tumor - it was actually located on the back of his right rear leg. The vet was able to remove the entire tumor and a bit of skin surrounding the tumor, which was tested and did not show any remaining tumor cells.

The surgery went as well as it could, but he had a really hard time coming around afterwards. He also developed a heart murmur that was noticed shortly after. Due to his age (he turned 10 in November), the issues he had after surgery and his heart murmur, we decided that if another tumor showed up, we would not go through with surgery. Just can't put him through that again, and especially not with the heart murmur.

Unfortunately bully breeds are very prone to developing cancer - we got really lucky with Jake. He has not had any more tumors so far, and the first one was very slow growing. They often come back and with a vengeance. I cannot imagine having to have so many tumors removed. Poor Steeley. If it were me, I think I would forgo additional surgery, but that's just my personal opinion.