Author Topic: Insurance for older dogs?  (Read 660 times)

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
Insurance for older dogs?
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »
I'm just wondering if anyone here has insurance for their senior dogs.  If so, can you recommend a company?

A friend of mine has a female dog, Carmel, who is 10-11 years old (estimated to be 2-3 when she got her) and has started having some minor old-age problems (occasional skin rashes, and more recently slight urinary incontinence).  She doesn't make a lot of money and is worried about expenses if something major should arise.  Carmel is my friend's baby... we all know how that is.  So ideally, she'd like a plan for things like surgery or ongoing treatments, not just catastrophic injury coverage.

I don't know that she's a specific breed per se, but she was a street dog in Turkey when my friend took her in, and apparently is typical of Turkish street dogs, for what it's worth.  She's a huge dog (120 pounds or so, I think), but has been very healthy overall. 

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
Re: Insurance for older dogs?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:27:05 PM »
I've never done the insurance thing with my dogs, but I've had some experience with it. She really needs to closely look at the coverage of each plan. Some will only do routine procedures, others have breed exemptions, etc. All of them require that she pay the vet in full and then submit the claim for the company to decide how much they will reimburse. I know the companies are improving their coverage plans, but with some pets it is a better plan to set aside the amount of the monthly payment into an account just for the pet.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
Re: Insurance for older dogs?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »
Thanks, Kati.

I actually gave my friend a similar warning.  I never had insurance on my dog, but got burned by sketchy health insurance for myself in the past, so I know the importance of a reputable company and understanding your policy.

English isn't her first language, and though she's great at it, legal and medical terms can be difficult.  I've offered to help decipher any policy she's interested in, so I'll definitely consider everything you've said.