Author Topic: Adult male rat humping new younger male...  (Read 197 times)

Offline shakou

• RAWR!
Adult male rat humping new younger male...
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:46:20 PM »
My male rat just lost his cage mate recently. He is about a year old, and has been on his own for about a month now. We recently brought home a young male, set up a temporary cage next to our older boy, then today introduced them and things went fine. However, our older boy keeps mounting and humping our new one. He's not drawing blood or seemingly hurting him, but our new boy does seem a little annoyed by it.

Why is this happening? Most of the answers I'm finding online say he's trying to push his dominance and show he's the alpha. I know alpha theory in dogs was debunked a long time ago, and while I know rats aren't dogs, I'm not sure I buy it for them either. I'm willing to hear everyone's opinion though.

Offline Starlight55971

Re: Adult male rat humping new younger male...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 12:08:55 AM »
Dominance. Even my girls do it with their sisters from time to time. Here is a quote from the rat behavior website:

A low intensity agonistic interaction is a chase. Many agonistic interactions consist of one rat chasing another for a few seconds. The chased rat flees and either outruns or hides from the pursuer, or sometimes the pursuer desists. If the pursuer catches up, he may nip or bite the rump of the fleeing rat and may attempt to engage him in an encounter. Sometimes, the pursuer may mount the fleeing rat.

Offline britanyd

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Adult male rat humping new younger male...
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:36:54 PM »
Yeah it is just dominance humping. I used to have a guy who did it all the time. It was a little bit funny to watch.