Author Topic: Need grain-free, non-chicken dog food recommendations.  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Sidders

Need grain-free, non-chicken dog food recommendations.
« on: April 04, 2013, 05:24:22 PM »
I need to switch my 13-year-old dog to a grain-free diet without chicken (as she is not tolerating the chicken well anymore and my vet recommended a fish or red meat diet). I do not want to do a fish diet because a) in my experience at a doggy daycare/kennel, the dogs who were on a fish diet had breath that smelled like fish and b) I'm worried about the use of Ethoxyquin.

I've been looking on Dog Food Advisor for a 5-star diet and most of the foods contain fish meal. Wellness doesn't offer a red meat diet. TOTW has fish meal. EVO has a red meat diet but I've read a lot of reviews with people's dogs having digestive issues (my past ferrets even got runny poops when I had them on EVO for a short time).

The only one I've found so far is Innova PRIME Grain Free Beef & Lamb Meal Formula. Would this be a good choice? I'm just trying to do my best for her and all these choices are a bit overwhelming. Any recommendations/advice is highly appreciated.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
Re: Need grain-free, non-chicken dog food recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 05:41:13 PM »
I don't know anything about dog food, but if you have a Costco near you, check out the Kirkland brands of food. I know a lot of Greyhound people who use various kinds and Greyhounds are notorious for their sensitive tummies.
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:49:08 PM »
I feed my dog TOTW. I have issues with fish and smell in the past (with both the cats and the dog). I've never had any issues with TOTW. I don't think there is enough fish meal to really make a difference.
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »
I happy feed Orijen.  It has some fish in it and smell hasn't been an issue.

Offline Sidders

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:36:10 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I think I'm going to go with the Innova though since it does meet all of my criteria. I just wanted to see if anyone would advise against it, for whatever reason.

Offline Amanda

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 07:54:38 PM »
They did just have this recall:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/natura-pet-expands-recall/

So if you can find another food, I would definitely steer clear of it for awhile.

Offline peacepony

• Posts Too Much!
  • {Renaissance Festival Addict}
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »
Innova is a great food! But there was that recall, so just be careful. The only other thing I would say about it is that it is high protein, when I had my cats on it they all blimped up a little so you may just need to feed more. Other foods though that you could try would be Natural Balance they are a "limited ingredient diet" brand (I use quotes as most OTC LIDs aren't as extremely limited as some of the Rx diets you can get from a vet) they have things like duck and potato and venison and sweet potato.
Currently owned by: 5 rats {Sneezles, Fender, Stratocaster, Gonzo and Bubbles} 1 ratty loving boyfriend {Kelly} 1 dog {Mokie} and 6 cats {Missy, Diva, Celeste, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Squid and Buddha Bogtrotter}
Play hard at the bridge little Tulip, you were mommy's tiny flower

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:32:56 PM »
Costco's food and Taste of the Wild are the same food, just so you know. But I feed my dog TOTW and we've never had issues with her breath. (I know you've found something but I thought I'd mention it since I'm already here.)

Offline peacepony

• Posts Too Much!
  • {Renaissance Festival Addict}
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »
Innova is a great food! But there was that recall, so just be careful. The only other thing I would say about it is that it is high protein, when I had my cats on it they all blimped up a little so you may just need to feed more. Other foods though that you could try would be Natural Balance they are a "limited ingredient diet" brand (I use quotes as most OTC LIDs aren't as extremely limited as some of the Rx diets you can get from a vet) they have things like duck and potato and venison and sweet potato.

:doh: feed LESS not more.  :doh:
Currently owned by: 5 rats {Sneezles, Fender, Stratocaster, Gonzo and Bubbles} 1 ratty loving boyfriend {Kelly} 1 dog {Mokie} and 6 cats {Missy, Diva, Celeste, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Squid and Buddha Bogtrotter}
Play hard at the bridge little Tulip, you were mommy's tiny flower

Offline ThreeMagicBeans

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »
What about Kirkland (Costco) Nature's Domain food? They do Sweet Potato and Turkey, Sweet Potato and Beef, and Sweet Potato and Salmon versions. I find it to be the best for your money, a lot of people have Costco's near them too. You have many choices too, and neither of them have chicken in them (Beef, Salmon, Turkey). ;)

Dog Food Advisor Review:
- It has, for the most part, very good comments on the food at the base of the page by users.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/natures-domain-dog-food/
{New Rats Coming Soon!}

Offline Sidders

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but after a very bad day of my dog throwing up the entire day, the vet recommended taking her off kibble completely. Peanut now gets a completely homemade diet with the necessary supplements. She is doing much better. :)

She was also put on heart medication for her heart murmur and we've noticed a very positive change in her. :heart: