Author Topic: Considering an addition  (Read 1105 times)

Offline ibinitch

• It's funnier in Enochian.
    • The Creative Owl
Considering an addition
« on: April 13, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »
I have a 9 year old indoor only cat and in the past I have tossed around the idea of getting another but decided not to because she has never been around other cats. I have no experience with introducing cats so I am not sure if it would be a good idea or not. Are older cats accepting of kittens? She is not mean but very used to being the only feline in the house. Are there any more experienced cat folks out there that can offer some advice? 
Bri, furmom to chihuhuas Princess & Daisy, rats Ruby & Piper & ferrets Penny, LD, Chester & Willow.
Rest Peacefully Maggie, Charlie, Minnie & Butters.
~ My Etsy Shop

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: Considering an addition
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 11:43:47 PM »
I have 8 cats and also had 2 dogs. I got them one or two at a time. My oldest cat is 13, I got him from a rescue when he was a year. He had to be introd to our current dogs which went well. Then I got my second cat a few months later. We went seven years without an addition and then added 2 feral kittens. The intros went well and they all got along together. Then 2 yrs later I added 3 barn kittens with health issues and 6 months later added a stray kitten I found at the grocery store.

For some reason when I had the two barn kitten girls spayed (5 months after putting them together) the feral tortie colored female started acting up. She started marking (peeing) on the kitchen counters on the food and various things on the counter. She marked me while I was going to the bathroom. I made sure it wasnt physical or mental ( put her on prozac and wellbutrin) and tried everything and could not get her to stop. She also started torturing one of the girls. She lives on the porch now because we could not get her to stop peeing on the counters.

My original cat has decided that he is done with new friends and honestly Ive exceeded the crazy cat lady requirement by 2 cats. lol

The secret to any intro whether it be cat or dog is not to just dump them together. Never let them chase or attack each other. Keep them separate for at least 2 weeks. For me its always been two weeks for quarantine and fleas.

I exchange bedding and litter and food bowls after the new cat has been tested for fiv and got their shots. Then I let them see each other but not interact. If they get hissy and defensive then the visual is over. Usually I keep the new kittens in a gigantic cage with half covered. Eventually they all get so curious about each other they forget to be afraid. The dog was the easiest into out of all of them. lol

Anytime you add another cat you run the risk of the current cat wanting to mark their territory. Its very difficult to stop. My first cat came from a rescue that would take him back if introducing him to hubbys horrible allergies didnt work out. He eventually got used to cats. Maybe if you worked with a rescue they could help you out if it didnt work out.

Offline ibinitch

• It's funnier in Enochian.
    • The Creative Owl
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 12:35:16 AM »
Thank you for the advice, it was very much appreciated. I'm not sure it'd be fair to her and I don't want it to affect her negatively.
Bri, furmom to chihuhuas Princess & Daisy, rats Ruby & Piper & ferrets Penny, LD, Chester & Willow.
Rest Peacefully Maggie, Charlie, Minnie & Butters.
~ My Etsy Shop

Offline Cortney

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:03:12 PM »
You could try fostering first, and that way if she doesn't like the experience you wouldn't be stuck with an extra cat.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:04:01 PM »
must comment, what a difference a letter makes, I keep reading addition as addiction  :yelcutelaugh: