Author Topic: Cats..  (Read 930 times)

Offline Lesliesewell

Cats..
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:24:21 PM »
I was thinking that since they are similar someone might know how often to feed two day old kittens and how much? I have the baby bottle and for tonight im feeding whole cows milk beccause its all i have. Tomorrow i will get kitten milk replacer.

How often i feed them?
How much i feed them?

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
Re: Cats..
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 09:52:28 PM »
This very useful looking site (click) says every 3-4 hours. Found a better site that says every 2 hours.

Are you warming the milk?

Kittens need to be on their stomachs to nurse, never on their back like a human baby.

Do you know how to help them eliminate?

Kittens under the age of 2 weeks cannot urinate nor have a bowel
movement without the stimulation from their human caretaker. With a soft tissue or
cotton ball moistened with warm water, gently rub or tickle the genital and anus area
of the kitten. This method is the only way that the kitten can eliminate its body waste
and must be used before & after each feeding and until the kitten is litter trained. The
kitten should urinate at each feeding following stimulation and bowel movements can
be every day to every 2 to 3 days.

(Bullet points in case you're in a hurry. Read that whole article if you have time. I don't have any experience with hand raising kittens, or I'd offer more advice. What happened to their mom?)

EDIT: This site seems even more thorough. (Click)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:55:27 PM by GhostMouse »

Offline Lesliesewell

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »
She moved half the kittens and i put the kittens she left in her nest because a few hrs later she was tending to the other but left those behind they were cold wet and very weak almost dead looking, iv had the momma cat for 4years and she has had a few accidental litters (shes a barn cat so she strays some) so i know its bot because shes scared of me. I did warm up the milk, iv raised alot of critters so i knew that and about the stimulating thing. Thanks about the times to feed them! I looked it up n most said 4hrs but that didnt seem right so thank you sooo much!

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
It's possible that there's something wrong with the kittens so she's rejected them, so be prepared to lose them in spite of your efforts (it sucks but it's better to know ahead of time). It's also possible that the litter is just too big for her to look after. How many are there?

Also, you've had this cat for 4 years, why hasn't she been spayed? It isn't safe to spay her this soon after she's had kittens, but once they're weaned you can have it done. It would be the best for her health, for any future kittens she would have produced, and for your local wildlife. You really can't say her litters are "accidental" if you're allowing an intact cat outside; that's just asking for her to breed.