Author Topic: Cat with hay fetish??  (Read 1072 times)

Offline andrea1970

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Profile
Cat with hay fetish??
« on: April 21, 2013, 01:47:37 PM »
For those with cats and critters -- do you have problems with the cat getting into the critter hay?  Luci will get into the hay box if she can, and she'll pull out pieces and drag them around the house.  I have hay everywhere because of her!

I've always kept the hay in a cardboard box.  Do you think it would be ok in a plastic bin with a lid?
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  -- Thomas Jefferson
Andrea DeJarnett

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
Re: Cat with hay fetish??
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »
As long as the hay can still get some ventilation (not an air-tight box) it will be fine. I have a giant 40lb box delivered twice a year and I always end up finding one of my cats in it. He loves sleeping on a bed of hay. I used to have a cat who would pick the hay out between the wires of the cages and eat it. Luckily none of the current cats eat hay (it always comes back up..).
-Melina & Crew

Offline tamena

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm NOT a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
Banzai likes to steal Kale from my guinea pigs!
He'll snag hay too when I'm doing cages or we're heading to a show...the carrier get lots of hay and treats for a show weekend to keep the pigs eating and happy and the not-so-lil brat reaches in to the carriers and pulls the stuff out one bit at a time!

Offline Ratluvr22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Got any Yogies??"
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:36:32 AM »
My cat doesn't have a hay fetish, but if it makes you feel better he likes to lick plastic....just lick it, not eat it. He's so strange lol.

Offline andrea1970

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:11:59 PM »
My cat doesn't have a hay fetish, but if it makes you feel better he likes to lick plastic....just lick it, not eat it. He's so strange lol.

Oh hay isn't the only fetish.  She also licks paper.

I don't think she eats the hay, I think she just drags it around.  She's claimed a small area rug in front of the downstairs bathroom and I'll find hay strands there.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  -- Thomas Jefferson
Andrea DeJarnett