Author Topic: Considering taking in a stray - questions  (Read 3431 times)

Offline mustang480

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Considering taking in a stray - questions
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 11:53:15 PM »
Sounds like a very difficult situation.
One thing I thought I would suggest for future reference. When it comes to picking up a cat, especially one that is prone to biting/scratching, is to pick them up by the 'scruff'. I know some people think this is not the right way to pick up a kitty, but if you think about it, this is how the momma cat picks up her babies. This is also how my vet picks up cats. If you pick them up by the scruff, they are usually unable to scratch and definitely unable to bite, as they cannot turn their head around when in this position.
That way you can safely pick up the cat and place it in the carrier. Trust me, it does not hurt the cat!  ;D

Thanks so much for the suggestion :)  Yes, it's a difficult situation.  I have been doing a lot of thinking and I didn't go see her for about a week because I decided it was better for me to just stay away.  Today I was really missing her and my kids were begging to go, so reluctantly I packed up her food and walked over to see her.  The male cat was there as well.  We spent an hour with them and it was really nice.  Then the male cat decided to follow us all the way back to my truck, meowing at us not to go  :-\  He has never followed us this far before.  He went under the fence and followed us into our new community.  I felt so bad to have to get in the truck and drive off.  That is why I had stayed away - because I figured maybe it is best for us and the cats if we just don't keep doing that.  Ugh.  I hate everything about this.  Anyway, thanks for the scruffing suggestion  :)

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 01:16:27 AM »

Cats can definitely still claw while being scruffed.  They may not be able to bite depending on how well you've got them scruffed, but they can still claw.  Outdoor cats have fought for their lives before and typically react differently than house cats to being grabbed.  I would highly recommend trapping the cat if you want to take her in.  This way nobody gets hurt.

I work with stray cats and I am a foster home for formerly stray cats.  I've had about 30 of them come through my house over the last 6 years and I can tell you that cats are very adaptable.  Of those 30, two cats I had may have been better off outside.  One of those cats was always terrified of people ever since she was taken inside as a tiny kitten.  The other one is one I have right now, and she's actually coming around and will probably get adopted to an indoor home.  If this cat walks up to you and wants to hang out with you, it will probably make a fine indoor cat.  Mangy scruffy beat-up tomcats that have been cruising city neighborhoods for years have turned out to be such nap time couch snuggle buddies if they are given a chance.  Sure, living indoors may not be as exciting for a cat, but it sure beats being cold, hungry, wet and flea infested outdoors.  Life expectancy is much better indoors too. 

You should adopt this cat.  ;)

Offline mustang480

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 09:51:30 PM »
Thanks nakedrats and everyone for all the advice and help.  I'm still doing some thinking and haven't come to a decision yet as to what I will do, but if anything develops I will post a little update about it.  Thanks again  :)