Author Topic: siberian husky tips.  (Read 2773 times)

Offline thejamiemarie

• Posts Too Much!
siberian husky tips.
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:43:38 PM »
About 3 weeks ago I adopted a Siberian Husky. She is 12 weeks old and her name is Denali. I have researched the breed so I do know a lot of basics, but I would love to hear any tips and tricks you have for owning a husky. I want to do everything in my power to raise her right. We are crate training her and have started puppy training classes already.

I do live in an apartment which I know puts some people off, but I only work 4 hours a day and we live around the corner from a dog park. We usually take 2 short walks a day right now, do 20 min of training morning and night and play lots of inside games together to wear her out. I am open to any other advice. thanks guys!
Mama to...
2 cats: Ophelia and Ichabod
1 dog: a Husky pup Denali
1 corn snake: Persephone

R.I.P
Ruby <3
Lilith <3
Scarlet<3
Grace<3
Peanut<3
May<3
Chai<3

I am currently ratless =(

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: siberian husky tips.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
Huskys are very smart and you basically live in their house. A variation of NILIF is a good method to use to ensure they understand they live in your house and you are the head dog. If not you will find out that you cant even keep things on the kitchen counters and nothing they want is safe. That means garbage cans, dirty laundry they can even figure out how to open cupboards and the fridge.

They are a cool dog but can be a handful if you don't start training and setting boundaries now.  ;D

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 11:23:07 PM »
I also recommend crate training.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »
While Im not terribly impressed with the video authors and not a fan of cesar milan they have some very valid points about living with huskies and what you face if you dont make sure you are the leader of the pack and use crate training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRG5LDBcgUE

If you think this wont happen to you, you didnt do your research about the breed. There are plenty of videos on youtube about their antics.  :)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »
I don't have any hints about training and living with a husky.. I just have to say  I love the name! I have always wanted to name a pup that and it was on the list of names for Diver dog, but it didn't fit and the hubby nixed it.

Also, huskies aren't the only ones you have to watch out for when it comes to counter surfers and door openers. My boxer can climb on top of the counters and get to the cabinets above the sink. We have child locks on pretty much every cabinet in the house. :)
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
True huskies arent the only counter surfers or dogs that will tear up your furniture. I even found a video of a husky that broke a plasma TV. They are a way different dog than a boxer. Its difficult to understand unless you have spent some time around them and other dogs. They can be like ADHD with OCD on crack with a mensa IQ. Difficult to get them redirected once they have found a new thing they want to do.

The most awesome thing is they talk and talk and talk. Sometimes though they never stop. lol

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 11:52:38 PM »
ETA with some huskies child locks arent enough, they will simply just tear apart the cabinets.

Offline peacepony

• Posts Too Much!
  • {Renaissance Festival Addict}
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 10:04:09 PM »
Don't ever trust a husky off leash. That is really the only thing I can come up with. When we had our mix we were told that they will go and go and go if they get a chance to escape.
Currently owned by: 5 rats {Sneezles, Fender, Stratocaster, Gonzo and Bubbles} 1 ratty loving boyfriend {Kelly} 1 dog {Mokie} and 6 cats {Missy, Diva, Celeste, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Squid and Buddha Bogtrotter}
Play hard at the bridge little Tulip, you were mommy's tiny flower

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 09:09:10 AM »
Don't ever trust a husky off leash. That is really the only thing I can come up with. When we had our mix we were told that they will go and go and go if they get a chance to escape.

I think that's kind of a poor generalization. I used to care for a husky when I was younger. I'd drop the leash and she'd just wait for me and we'd go on. Her companion - a poodle mix - on the other hand, would run off the moment he thought he could get away with it. I think if you train well enough, most dogs could do well off leash (of course, leash laws an safety are more important).

Offline peacepony

• Posts Too Much!
  • {Renaissance Festival Addict}
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »
Aye, proper training is definitely important. We got ours when she was an adult and she was quite psychotic so maybe that is why we got that advice.
Currently owned by: 5 rats {Sneezles, Fender, Stratocaster, Gonzo and Bubbles} 1 ratty loving boyfriend {Kelly} 1 dog {Mokie} and 6 cats {Missy, Diva, Celeste, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Squid and Buddha Bogtrotter}
Play hard at the bridge little Tulip, you were mommy's tiny flower

Offline thejamiemarie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 03:39:20 PM »
Thanks everyone! She is being crate trained and she is finally starting to see her crate as her safe place.
Mama to...
2 cats: Ophelia and Ichabod
1 dog: a Husky pup Denali
1 corn snake: Persephone

R.I.P
Ruby <3
Lilith <3
Scarlet<3
Grace<3
Peanut<3
May<3
Chai<3