Author Topic: Ragamuffins?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Ragamuffins?
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »
Anybody know anyone who has Ragamuffins? Is it a new breed? My 12-year-old wants one and we haven't had anything but rescue kitties for years.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Ragamuffins?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »
Hmm, according to Wikipedia they're just a variety of Ragdolls that cropped up in 1994. You might have more luck finding a Ragdoll breeder.

Also: "The cost of buying a pedigreed Ragamuffin has been typically higher than for its Ragdoll relatives by several hundred dollars. Pet quality kittens start at around $1,000.00". Purebred animals are awesome but I hope you're aware of the cost!

This is the original group that founded the breed. They have a breeder's list on their site.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »
Thx. Ow. Not in our budget by any means but interesting to learn about them.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 12:22:32 PM »
You could try looking into breed specific rescues. They have them for dogs, I dont see why they wouldnt have them for cats.

Offline Rat_Mommy00

• Rat Breeder
    • Coco's Rattery
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 02:52:54 PM »
I have a Snowshoe/Ragdoll mix and an Angora/Calico mix. The snowshoe is soooo laid back and has the same personality as a Ragdoll/Ragamuffin would have. Very affectionate and great with kids, though not as fluffy. The Angora is a lot more fluffy and is great with kids as well and has some of the Ragdoll/Ragamuffin perdonality, but tends to be more skittish towards strangers and very "diva" like.

Im only giving you this 411 cuz like mutewolf stated, they are extremely pricey for the pedigreed kitties. Also, they are much more delicate, or at least I was told by a Ragdoll breeder who also bred Ragamuffins. I was also looking into adopting a Ragdoll and Ragamuffin, but she told me that honestly getting a mixed kitty with Ragdoll mixed in would be cheaper and easier to maintain. They have the same traits and personality without the priceyness and extensive care. I find the Snowshoe/Ragdoll mix to be an awsome mix of cat. Soo laid back, attention seekers, super duper affectionate, and awsome w kids (my 3 year old nephew carries her around like a ragdoll and she just limps and purrs lol)

I hope you find the perfect kitty  ;D
Vanessa & Danny
Coco's Rattery
Dedicated to the love and health of ratties of all colors, shapes and sizes. <3
Mommy and Slave to 1 dog- Estrella, 2 cats- Jewel & Snow, 4 lovebirds, 2 cockatiels, and of course the entire Rattery <3

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:58:04 AM »
Ragamuffins are apparently only accepted in CFA. Vs Ragdolls are accepted in pretty much every cat club. This is a main reason why ragdolls are easier to find over ragamuffins. I've read the backgrounds and the standards and honestly I still can't tell the difference between the two other than "muffin" and "doll". I think ragamuffins have a more pushed in face as they use Birman in the crossing?

*shrug* to me it's the same as owning oriental shorthairs and siamese. To me they are the same, but to the person breeding them they are not.
But a lot of hair. Ragdolls at the shows are just clouds of white. Not as bad as a persian, but right up there. I have Somalis which are a longhair breed too, but they are no where near these guys.

And if we put aside the fact that good breeders health test, there are a lot of ragdolls or rather ragdoll look alikes in the shelter. When I was very little a feed mill down the road had a pair that would kept them have babies and they'd just all die on the road. We would gather them up and adopt them out at cat shows (before internet time) and eventually convinced the people to let us fix their cats. They were purebreds, just had ignorant owners. And sadly this can happen all too often with popular breeds like this. If you just want a cat that looks like that certain cat, you can easily find out in the shelter honestly. If you want to have that cat for it's specific characteristics then go with a breeder. Keep in mind, the more "popular" breed the more BYB you will find. So you could find a kitten from a breeder for about $500, but with what they are producing you are going to have just as much luck with getting a shelter cat as far as health goes, maybe even better. Unless you are open to an adult, in which case you could find someone retiring their breeders and get a perfectly healthy, genetically tested cat for about the same as what you would pay at a shelter. Maybe a touch more.