Author Topic: Blind kitten, advice appreciated  (Read 1788 times)

Offline ashleyratlover

Blind kitten, advice appreciated
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »
I just had an accidental litter of eight kittens. Kittens are not hard to get rid of, but one of them is blind. I've tried to find a home for her, but it's hard to find homes for special-needs pets, even an adorable kitty.
I wanted to know what it's like to own a blind cat, as I think I might keep her. I was there for the birth, I was there for every single one's birth, she was the last to slide out and I am inclined to think she is the runt, when she was born I said 'I think it's a runt!' as I have owned runts before. So I don't really know. They all had eye infections at first and I've been treating them but she hasn't been able to fight it off, the vet thinks it might be permanent.

I think I will keep her, she doesn't seem to even know she's blind and she seems to have somehow grown to like me after forcing her to get medicine XD Reminds me of a rat I had who was always sick growing up, and the babying gave us a special bond.

Just looking for advice on owning a blind/special needs cat. Thanks in advance.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: Blind kitten, advice appreciated
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:15:53 PM »
First, be responsible and get the mother fixed asap. Find out from the vet when its the soonest to get her fixed and do it. They can go into heat again quickly.

Second, blind cats do just fine.  :)  You can watch several videos on youtube to get an idea of how well they do. You want to find toys with bells and make sure you keep the furniture in the same places if they run around much. Keep things picked up off the floor while they are kittens. Keep their food and water in the same place.

One thing to watch out for and be prepared is the mother not feeding it enough or at all. KMR kitten milk replacer is the best,  canned goats milk is good for a supplement if they arent gaining well and can be found at the grocery store where the evaporated milk is.  Being a runt often the mother wont feed it or the other kittens will just push it off the nipple. One of my rescue barn kittens had that happen and she needed extra goats milk. The good thing is she was living in the goat barn so it was easy for my neighbor to give her extra goat milk.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:13:49 PM »

I had an adult blind cat that I fostered for about a year.  I think she had some kind of retinal degeneration because she seemed to lose her vision gradually over time.  She was near completely blind by the time she got adopted.  We didn't know for most of the year that she was blind, but we suspected she had some kind of problem.  She would do strange things like climb the built in shelves at the basement steps and then cry and half fall down the stairs trying to get back down.  We had to block them off because she did this repeatedly.  She was not very bright.  Once she tried to jump up to a sunny windowsill that was home to a line of potted cacti and knocked them all to the floor.  Fortunately she was not hurt.  For the most part, she acted normal, and could function very well using whiskers and hearing.  She would "look" at us when we called her name because she could pinpoint by sound where we were.  She learned where all the furniture was and navigated perfectly fine.  It's really not a huge problem for them.

+1 on getting that momma cat spayed ASAP.   There are way too many unwanted kittens out there needing homes.

Offline ashleyratlover

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:21:45 PM »
Yeah that's the worst part, actually. I kept putting off the spaying - putting it off, putting it off, and then she was pregnant. I feel at fault here. I know there's so many babies and adults that need homes already, I don't want to bring more lives into the world that can't get homes. I realize it was irresponsible of me and I take the blame fully.

Found homes for two already. I found a woman on craigslist that talked me down on the re-homing fee for two. I was asking for 20$ a kitten, she asked if I would do 20 for two since they won't have shots or be fixed and will have to pay to do that, I said yeah that's great. She said she wants a boy and a girl, which I think is weird because I am the type of pet-owner that doesn't care about gender if you're getting them fixed anyway, but whatever. Then she was being super urgent about it, and asked if I'd throw in a third for 5$.

I have a bad feeling. I think I'm going to say no. Any thoughts on this?

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 11:27:21 PM »
If you have a bad feeling then say no, I have found my bad feelings are usually right.

On the flip side I have 3 cats that are brothers and sisters and the brother picks on the sisters. So keeping them together doesn't mean they will get along.

Offline ashleyratlover

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 11:31:20 PM »
It's also in a bad part of town, and don't get me wrong, I am not saying that means anything. I just have a bad feeling :/

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »
That sounds really sketchy to me and I'd say no to her too. Even if she is "planning" on getting them fixed, there's no guarantee and she could just want to breed cats for who knows what. It just sounds really weird, tbh.

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »
I don't see it as suspicious that she wanted one of each gender. Male and female cats have such different tendencies that I can understand wanting one of each. Wanting a third, in a hurry, at a discount, though, sounds super weird and suspicious.

As for when to spay, I once took in a pregnant cat and fostered the litter she had, so I can speak with some limited experience. You can't have her spayed while the kittens are still nursing, because you can't have the kittens kneading near the incision. Once they are weaned and separated (my kittens would keep trying to nurse long after being weaned), she may go into heat again. My cat did, so we separated her from the male kitten we kept (and fortunately had adopted out the others by then), waited it out, and then got her spayed. I think we actually had the male kitten neutered while she was going through it, so he was able to rejoin her. That or he wasn't sexually mature yet, I can't remember now.

I'm not sure if you'll find that helpful, but I hope so.  :)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 07:40:30 PM »
Do you have a low cost spay/neuter place around you where you can get them fixed before they go to homes?   

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 08:33:19 PM »
Do you have a low cost spay/neuter place around you where you can get them fixed before they go to homes?

I'd look into this option, or the Humane Society vets, if they have them.  Letting them know you want to get the kittens neutered prior to sending them off to homes where you can't guarantee that they will be might get them to offer you a discount or help you out...

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »
It costs more to neuter boys if their goolies havent dropped because they have to look for them. They usually show up between 3-4 mos. Ive seen kittens as little as 9 weeks get fixed. Personally I think its too early but if the goal is to get them homes then you do what you need to.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 09:32:29 PM »
Low cost I've seen doesn't charge due to that, just extra if a female is in heat.   Once they are out of your possession you really can't make anyone do anything, so the only way to know for sure that none of them will breed is to have it done before you send them to homes.   SPCA's  if there is one in your county might offer a low cost spay/neuter also.