Author Topic: Bunny Proofing - behind the couch  (Read 2129 times)

Offline KatnRat

Bunny Proofing - behind the couch
« on: May 05, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
I recently adopted a bunny. She's amazing, and incredibly brave and sociable.

Before I brought her home, I bunny proofed the house: covering or hiding cords and making sure there was nothing easily accessible that she shouldn't chew on. The one thing that was hard to hid was the pile of cords for my fish tanks. I hid those behind the couch and blocked all access points and hoped that would work.

It didn't.

I have blocked all the entrances to the space behind the couch and she still gets back there. When no other space is available, she climbs OVER the fishtank. There's no way to block that area and I cant stand the thought of her climbing over the fishtank as I'm not sure what would happen if she falls in!

I'd like to cover the cords so that she can have her precious behind the couch space and I can stop worrying, but it's a lot of cords plugged into a power adapter and I can't figure out how to cover that. Anyone have any creative ideas for covering such a space?

rats: Kenny, Enrique, Harvey

Offline KatnRat

Re: Bunny Proofing - behind the couch
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:56:46 AM »
As I've already mentioned, standard cord covers (which I have on all my other exposed cords) don't fit over the jumble of cords I have in that corner.

As I also already mentioned, I've bunny proofed the rest of my home. I've also owned bunnies before and am well aware of the cost and care factors for bunnies. I'm looking for specific advice on covering a large jumble of cords and power strip that are altogether hard to cover. I tried blocking off the area and that isn't working as she found a spot back that 1- I can't properly block, 2- I didn't think she could fit through (she's a 15 pound rabbit and the space is only 2 1/2 inches deep), and 3- is dangerous for her to navigate through.

But thanks for being condescending and telling me information I already expressed knowing in the most snotty way possible. ::sarcasm::

I found actually helpful advice elsewhere so I'll just go with what they advised me to do.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
Wow, sorry, I didn't see that you knew of the cord covers, and was not trying to be condescending.   would the whole bundle fit in a dryervent exhaust tube, I was thinking putting 1 cord each, but if you wanted them all together instead that could work.   

I'm not sure how the 2 words I wrote and link with a photo of what I thought of was taken as so rude a response.   I posted it only for the image of the cord covers, not for the whole page, but didn't want to just highjack their photo.   

Gating off the area around the fish tank all together is another option so she is not climbing over it.   If she's using the couch to get up onto the fish tank maybe moving the couch also.   Or not using that room as part of the area where she can play.   

Offline KatnRat

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »
Ugh. Sorry. It seemed like everything I did yesterday I got attacked. So a curt response with a link to a site with a header that told me I'm an ill-prepared pet owner just looked like more of the same. I appreciate that that wasn't your intention.

It won't really fit in a dryer tube. The other suggestion I got was to put it all behind a metal crate, but there isn't enough space back there for a whole crate so I'm thinking I'll buy some of those storage cubes and zip tie something together. I'm also considering gating the fish tank, though she really has no interest in climbing over it as long as she can get behind the couch so maybe I can use some of the extra storage cube sides against the side of the tank to ward her off.

This rabbit is naughty in completely different ways from the bunnies I have had before. She isn't really interested in chewing (though I don't want to give her the chance to change her mind), but she always wants to be where I don't want her to be. She is three times as big as the bunnies I has before, but sneaks into spaces they never fit into (or never wanted to anyway). She also loves running across the slippery floors and seeking out the loudest person in any room. Every other bunny I've met has disliked slippery floors and loud people, so I'm never sure what to expect from her.