Author Topic: Chubby kitty on a diet  (Read 1966 times)

Offline SchönDers

Chubby kitty on a diet
« on: May 05, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
I have two kitties: Amadeus, the chubby kitty at 13 lbs 14 oz (came from the shelter at that weight) and Kyo, the skinny kitty at 8 lbs 6 oz (he's about the size of a female kitty). The vet recently recommended that I put Amadeus on a weight control diet so he can lose a pound or two and maintain his weight, as he is probably prone to gaining, and Kyo obviously does not need to lose any weight.

I have always fed them from separate bowls because they don't like sharing, but the problem is that Amadeus doesn't like his new food and Kyo LOVES it! Kyo will leave his food bowl and try to eat Amadeus' food instead, which I don't want happening because he's already a skinny kitty.  I also tried to trick Amadeus into eating his food by mixing it with a little of the old food so he wouldn't notice, but he still won't eat it.

Before I even learned that Amadeus needs to go on a diet, I would only feed them at certain times of the day because he would eat all of his food and then eat Kyo's food and he would end up getting sick. I've still been doing this because it would be counter-productive for him to eat the weight management diet and THEN eat Kyo's food too.

Amadeus has a tendency to get lonely and start clawing at the carpet if locked up in another room, so I don't want to separate them like that while they're eating. So I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions for how to make Amadeus eat his food and Kyo to leave it alone? Thanks

Offline lovemypayne

• My Pets On Parade
Re: Chubby kitty on a diet
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:03:27 PM »
Wow, that's a toughy, because the first thing I was going to suggest was separating them at meal time?
www.mypetsonparade.com

Where all pets are special!

(New members welcome and always appreciated!!)

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:01:44 PM »

I have to feed one of my foster cats in the bathroom.  He is currently eating crunchies instead of wet food because he can't gobble it down super fast and then barf it all back up.  He has to wait in the bathroom until the other kitties are done eating, so he when he bolts down his food, he can't go eat their food too.   My cats eat twice a day.

You might try feeding Kyo in a carrier.  He can't ruin any carpet by digging to get out, and his food will be safe from Amadeus.  If you feed twice or 3x a day, you can also measure out their food.  I don't use weight control food- when my cat gets chunky, I just feed less food.  He usually maintains his weight on 6-7oz of wet food per day.  I'll give 10oz if he is being really active and starts to look thin, and I'll drop him to 5 oz if he's getting tubby.  He has definitely lost a pound or more of weight eating reduced rations of his same typical food.  It's fairly easy to see how he's doing and adjust his meals- I just look to see how much of a waist he has.  He goes on reduced rations when he starts looking round like a sausage.

If you separated the cats for feeding, you could give Kyo more food to help him gain weight and give Amadeus less food to help him lose weight all at the same time. 

Offline SchönDers

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:00:26 PM »

I have to feed one of my foster cats in the bathroom.  He is currently eating crunchies instead of wet food because he can't gobble it down super fast and then barf it all back up.  He has to wait in the bathroom until the other kitties are done eating, so he when he bolts down his food, he can't go eat their food too.   My cats eat twice a day.

You might try feeding Kyo in a carrier.  He can't ruin any carpet by digging to get out, and his food will be safe from Amadeus.  If you feed twice or 3x a day, you can also measure out their food.  I don't use weight control food- when my cat gets chunky, I just feed less food.  He usually maintains his weight on 6-7oz of wet food per day.  I'll give 10oz if he is being really active and starts to look thin, and I'll drop him to 5 oz if he's getting tubby.  He has definitely lost a pound or more of weight eating reduced rations of his same typical food.  It's fairly easy to see how he's doing and adjust his meals- I just look to see how much of a waist he has.  He goes on reduced rations when he starts looking round like a sausage.

If you separated the cats for feeding, you could give Kyo more food to help him gain weight and give Amadeus less food to help him lose weight all at the same time.

I think that would be a really good idea! The only problem I would have is that Kyo doesn't eat all of his food at one time, he's a grazer. So, I think I could do it, but put Kyo's food up when Amadeus is eating and do it a few times a day.

Thanks!

Offline peacepony

• Posts Too Much!
  • {Renaissance Festival Addict}
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 01:40:41 AM »
Also switching to a canned food only diet would help (ground is better than chunks/flakes/fillet etc). Less to practically no carbs and more protein would help the chunky one lose weight while at the same time supports the skinnier cats weight and will maintain on it. If you can get the other cat to meal feed (which is possible, but sometimes is annoying during the transition while the cat who likes to graze bothers you until they get used to the schedule) then a healthy weight OTC diet can work and there are great Rx diets for weight loss that you an get at your vets but they tend to be pricey. But DO NOT follow the feeding recommendations on the bag, they always over estimate as all food companies are in the market to sell more food, even the best companies. I would measure what you give them now then start cutting back, my cats maintain pretty well on ~1/4 cup twice a day, though I have a smaller one who I had to cut back to 1/8th cup twice a day til she lost weight then I kept her between an 1/8th and a 1/4 cup twice a day, just have to figure out what is good for them for their body type, just like us!
Currently owned by: 5 rats {Sneezles, Fender, Stratocaster, Gonzo and Bubbles} 1 ratty loving boyfriend {Kelly} 1 dog {Mokie} and 6 cats {Missy, Diva, Celeste, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Squid and Buddha Bogtrotter}
Play hard at the bridge little Tulip, you were mommy's tiny flower

Offline SchönDers

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:43:40 PM »
Also switching to a canned food only diet would help (ground is better than chunks/flakes/fillet etc). Less to practically no carbs and more protein would help the chunky one lose weight while at the same time supports the skinnier cats weight and will maintain on it. If you can get the other cat to meal feed (which is possible, but sometimes is annoying during the transition while the cat who likes to graze bothers you until they get used to the schedule) then a healthy weight OTC diet can work and there are great Rx diets for weight loss that you an get at your vets but they tend to be pricey. But DO NOT follow the feeding recommendations on the bag, they always over estimate as all food companies are in the market to sell more food, even the best companies. I would measure what you give them now then start cutting back, my cats maintain pretty well on ~1/4 cup twice a day, though I have a smaller one who I had to cut back to 1/8th cup twice a day til she lost weight then I kept her between an 1/8th and a 1/4 cup twice a day, just have to figure out what is good for them for their body type, just like us!

Awesome! I looked for weight management soft food, but I couldn't find any. Do you know any specific brands that have weight management types?

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 11:25:24 PM »
You don't even necessarily need weight management for soft foods.  By their very nature, they're higher in protein and lower in carbs, which is what a cat needs.  So, just make sure you get the ones that don't have a lot of added stuff to the meat.  :)

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:50:41 AM »
This website has good explanations as to why wet food is better for weight management than the marketed stuff. Remember, companies slap labels on to things to sell more food. Like Marybelle said, you don't need anything called "weight management".

I currently feed my approx 13lb tom (he's getting fixed next week) 12oz of wet food a day and he's slimming down even on that. His digestion has gotten tons better (once I figured out fish makes his tummy turn) and his coat and dandruff has improved ten fold. I feed him Cat in the Kitchen brand food and my friend feeds her cat 4Health brand.

Offline SchönDers

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »
Thanks guys!I already know that he loves wet food, so it should be no problem taking him to a wet food diet completely.

Offline peacepony

• Posts Too Much!
  • {Renaissance Festival Addict}
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 10:22:40 PM »
Oh yeah I meant canned and weight management (dry) separately sorry!!
Currently owned by: 5 rats {Sneezles, Fender, Stratocaster, Gonzo and Bubbles} 1 ratty loving boyfriend {Kelly} 1 dog {Mokie} and 6 cats {Missy, Diva, Celeste, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Squid and Buddha Bogtrotter}
Play hard at the bridge little Tulip, you were mommy's tiny flower