Author Topic: Golden Retriever, doesn't want to come in?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline E-marie

• Love my girls! <3
Golden Retriever, doesn't want to come in?
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »
Ok my dog, Bella, is a golden, and when I try to get her in she looks at me and runs away.
I'm the youngest in my family, but I do the most training with her, and play with her more. Although I'm guessing she just wants to play it gets pretty annoying.
 I've been trying to get a reliable recall, but it really isn't working. I can let her off leash, if I have treats, but ONLY if I have treats. She's a little head strong too.

She runs away, and the only way to get her back is to run if she sees you.  She doesn't care about treats and pretends she doesn't even know the word "come." Even though I'm only 13, I'm very good with dogs! I've trained my dog many things - too many to list here. And when she runs I'M the one getting her, making it look like I'M the one who let her out. I feel like my neighborhood doesn't trust me because they see me running after her.   :-\
Anyway, tips on getting a reliable recall?
Thanks!
Lilly, Shadow RIP Daisy, Star, Peanut, Amber, Ruby

Offline Dfwgolden

Re: Golden Retriever, doesn't want to come in?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:53:51 PM »
Best way to this is make a big happy comotion and run away from the dog. I did this with my golden and now have no problems recalling him

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Re: Golden Retriever, doesn't want to come in?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »
Start inside, sit your dog down in front of you and hold a treat up next your eyes, when you gain eye contact blink slowly every handful of seconds and gaze softly. Treat your dog for maintaining eye contact and put a cue to it while using an upbeat tone. You may not gain more than a few seconds of eye contact the first couple of times but be persistent. This will help your dog to gain a positive association with looking at you and focusing it's attention on you.

When you've got that down take one step back and wave the treat, your dog should follow you, if not, take another step back and wave the treat again encouraging your dog to move. Do not use the same cue you yell at her when she's bolting around the neighborhood, it'll take less work if you never use it again instead of retraining it, but I suppose that's your choice. When your dog does follow you close the gap, treat, and cue.

After you've finished training these cues move into the yard, but put a leash on. If your dog pulls at all, for any reason, use your cue for your dog to follow you and back up gently pulling your dog toward you. When you've got her attention stop and cue her for some eye contact, you may have to remind her by holding the treat by your eyes. Treat her when she's paying attention to you. And definitely praise her if she sits down first. If you can't get her attention on you move back inside. If you can.... carry on.

Walk her around the yard and stop or turn and walk the opposite direction at random, especially when she's trying to focus on something other than you. Work on your cues at this time. This will help her to refocus on you and it will teach her that it's not worth focusing on say, a squirrel, mainly because that squirrel doesn't have treats and isn't as rewarding. Dogs love to learn and to be challenged, and once they figure out that you bring them a challenge and teach them they are ecstatic to work for you.

You may gradually replace the treats with a taste of a treat and then move on to a simple pat and verbal praise. I use very small treats when I work with my dogs, each treat is about half the size of my thumb. Sometimes I don't use treats at all, I'll take a fourth of their breakfast ration and use pieces of kibble to train them, they don't know the difference and they work just as hard.
Be creative when you work with your pup, I hope this helps you to correct your problem.

I hope this isn't too long winded and that it helps you correct your problem, good luck with your pup.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy