Author Topic: Would you trust a 13 year old to walk your dogs?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline E-marie

• Love my girls! <3
Would you trust a 13 year old to walk your dogs?
« on: May 09, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »
Ok, I'm 13 and I consider myself pretty good with dogs. I mean I don't want to be unmodest but I'm pretty sure dogs are my talent.
Anyway, I've started a dog walking/pet sitting business, and I only have one customer. She's VERY happy with me, as take care of dogs, chickens, ducks and rats. I don't ask for much, and I even let them chose a price in my wide range. (0.50 to 2.50 for a dog walk) 
I've done plenty of advertising, and I feel people don't trust me...? I'm sure they see my with my dog, Bella, she heals perfectly and sits whenever I stop. Do you think people don't trust me?
I'd love your help for having a business, or if you'd trust me.
Thanks!
Lilly, Shadow RIP Daisy, Star, Peanut, Amber, Ruby

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Would you trust a 13 year old to walk your dogs?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 10:06:46 AM »
I was walking neighbor's dogs at that age. Pet sitting and house sitting too. It's a matter of getting the word out to your neighbors. I'd suggest keep up the advertising and talk to people in your neighborhood more. Explain why dog walking is really important. See if your one client will be a reference for you in case other people ask about it.

It's really awesome that you're doing this though!

Oh, just a hint, but this is up to you, your prices are awfully low. I always undercharged too ($5 a day for pet sitting but the neighbors would end up doubling it) so be aware that you are actually working and can earn a few dollars more for what you're doing. Professional dog walkers might charge closer to $15+ per hour so I wouldn't go that high but $5 for an hour of walking is pretty reasonable.

Offline E-marie

• Love my girls! <3
Re: Would you trust a 13 year old to walk your dogs?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 07:04:27 PM »
Thanks for the very helpful reply.
Another question:
I have two potential clients. But I think I might have messed it up. Well, maybbe not. I forgot to bring my phone with. (The person wanted me to have a phone, but I didn't know that.) I've already gone over there twice, but I feel like if I go over again I'll be too pushy.
My other client (potential) has a dog (rarely walks her.) and I've talked to her. She seems to think that her dog (A mini poodle) can only be walked - around the block - once a week. Again I don't want to be pushy, but I think they're giving Pumpkin LDS. (Little dog syndrom.) She's always carried too. What can I do there?
I also have a neighbor across the street I'm trying to figure out. When I talked to him about my business he said it's a wonderful idea and he'd DEFINETLY call me. Well, it's been a year, nothing.  ???

I have rats and I pay for them. I need all the money I can get but these people are so forgeting. (?)

THANKS for answering!
~E
Lilly, Shadow RIP Daisy, Star, Peanut, Amber, Ruby