Author Topic: Found a new cage for my girls. Brand unknown?  (Read 693 times)

Offline Bippy798

Found a new cage for my girls. Brand unknown?
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:15:43 AM »
Does anyone happen to know this cage brand? I think this will be perfect. It is 17Wx30Lx31H and I am getting it for $20 yayyy! According to the rat cage calculator it can hold up to 4 rats (not counting the fact that it is 2 levels) and currently I only have 2 with intentions to add at least 1 more. This is the photo the seller posted...

Offline Ratatata

• Posts Too Much!
  • Officialized Weirdo.
Re: Found a new cage for my girls. Brand unknown?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »
Sweet find! To me it looks like an older superpet cage.
Currently volunteering as a foster home.

Be profound: The cup is useful because of it's emptyness.

Offline PrissyKrissy

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:16:05 PM »
yeah thats an old superpet cage.  depending on how active the three girls are it could house three. I would never put four in a cage that size though. and fill it up with hammocks, tubes, cubes and toys. i have the ALT cage that is the same as the new version of that cage and i don't feel it will be big enough once i get my new rat next month. I have two boys in it right now and i feel they're happy. but they have tons of stuff in the cage.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »
Cage calculator with 2 cubic feet per rat says this is large enough for 4.   

Offline PrissyKrissy

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 08:54:56 PM »
I would always rather give my rats more room. I don't think going by the cage calculator is always correct depending on the rats you have as well. I look at my boys in the cage that says it fits four, and I couldn't fathom putting four. I'm gonna see how three do, but if i have to, i'll get a bigger cage.  i think most agree with me that bigger is better. alot of people on this forum have two rats in a cage that the cage calculator says could hold 6 lol. bigger is always better.

Offline Bippy798

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »
Well I was so excited about this cage. I picked it up and when I got home put it together. I let the girls test it out and they immediately escaped. Bars are too far apart  for my small girls  :-[ Back up for sale it goes sigh...

Offline Risika57

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dayton Coordinator for EARPS
    • Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 10:25:09 PM »
It completely depends on the rats, their personality, their activity level, and their size. If you have 4 lazy rats, that do nothing but sleep, having them in this cage isn't really that big of a deal. If you have 4 small girls in this cage, as long as it has lots of hammocks, wheels/huts, its not a big deal. 4 large active males? I'd say over crowded. 4 rats that are fiesty, and wrestle a lot, Probably over crowded.

It really all depends on the group of rats you have at that time. Bigger IS always better with cages, but this cage CAN comfortably house the right 4 rats.

Stephanie Johnson (stephanie@earps.org)
Ohio Coordinator
Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
www.earps.org

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 11:13:29 PM »
What is the bar spacing?   Is it 1"?

Offline Bippy798

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 11:59:45 PM »
Yeah it was two cages put together and 3/4in on the bottom and 1in on the top section. Should have asked them to measure but I didn't :(

Offline PrissyKrissy

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 06:53:51 AM »
oh wow, i didn't even notice the bar spacing, and now looking at it i think the levels are made of parts of another cage maybe? good job on their part though.... well you could wrap it in hardware cloth? how old are your girls? maybe when they get bigger they won't be able to escape.  i dont' know how much the superpet my 1st home for exotics is but the ALT cage i got on sale for like 70 bucks. too bad memorial day is over i know petsmart and petco had sales. just keep looking you'll find a cage.