Author Topic: Bat is getting spayed today.  (Read 1211 times)

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
Bat is getting spayed today.
« on: June 06, 2013, 02:21:12 AM »
After irresponsibly putting it off (I know. I know. I know. I know.) Bat's belly became bloated and rigid worrying me and the vet the cause was closed pyometra. She had her heat around 6 weeks ago which would match up.

The vet took an X-ray Tuesday and it just showed stool blockage and apparently her uterus wasn't visible (unless he missed it, anyone know if intestines can hide the uterus?). He said she was really blocked up so they gave her an enema and told us to feed her pumpkin. So I have been doing that and trying to increase water intake. yesterday morning her belly seemed softer. Throughout the day it didn't seem so hard and felt even more normal. She's acting really good today, like she feels better. Tuesday she was whimpering and she's a pretty stoic dog so right away I noticed then rushed her to the vet.

Her stool has been very runny. She goes outside to potty a lot, but not a lot comes out. Her poor hips are tired from straining.

We're getting her spayed to be safe. She needed a spay anyway so even if it wasn't pyo we'd do it anyway. I've put it off because of fear. I don't have a vet I trust with Bat though I would likely trust my ratties vet with her.

She's going to be spayed by a vet new here (he's not new to being a vet, but to this clinic) so I am nervous that maybe their anesthesia protocols aren't up to date, but I imagine being a cat and dog vet they do lots of spays/neuters and I shouldn't worry?
If someone replies tonight, is there anything I should ask? I asked the mortality rate and I am not so sure they gave me a percentage but said he's done spays on lots of dogs with pyo that were really sick and they were OK. Bat not being anywhere near dying she should do well right?

I drop her off at 8am and it's going to be really hard. She's so scared and will look at me so listlessly as they take her away. During her exam she kept looking at me for reassurance.  :'(

If it's pyo..I know it's all my fault. I knew/know the dangers of waiting, it was made clear in my older threads. But I just never brought myself to get it done.

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
Re: Bat is getting spayed today.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:54:11 AM »
I don't know the answers to your questions, but spays are super common and routine. I know it's scary, but I'm sure she'll do just fine. Go Bat!  :heart:

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:39:27 PM »
Thank you.  :heart:

Bat did well and she did not have pyometra! :D The vet said her uterus looked a little inflamed though.
He flushed her intestines to relieve blockage so hopefully whatever caused it, will never happen again. We're going to get her on a hypoallergenic food and hopefully all of her other issues such as rashes, mucky ears and GI upset will ease since grain-free food isn't helping. The vet techs loved her!  :heart: :heart:

I am hoping since I don't live in my own house that everyone will be more careful from now on. We're thinking it was something spicy that caused this that she ate. She's always eating off of the floor and we all need to take more care in picking up what we drop, and keeping the floor swept. I do hope that's all this was. I can't wait until she is feeling better.

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:50:38 PM »
Yay, Bat! Very glad to hear the good news, and that sounds like a good plan going forward. I bet she will feel so much better once she's all healed up from surgery.

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »
Bat has seemingly been in a lot of pain starting on Saturday. She's panting very hard and whining and acting worried and uncomfortable. She has an appointment tomorrow at 8 and they couldn't get her in sooner. I am very, very worried about her and I was hoping someone would have an idea? Or advice? Or what could be wrong?

Her pain seems worse altogether today and her surgery was Thursday. She's on Tramadol for pain. This is horrible seeing her like this and not being able to do anything.

I wish I knew dogs like I knew rats. I see a symptom and I have a really good idea what is wrong...but not with dogs. I'm lost.

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »
I know nobody is replying but I figure I will update anyway.

The vet gave us some Rimadyl to give in addition to the Tramadol. He said it is likely inflammation causing the pain which is somewhat what I suspected. He explained how when the sutures start dissolving that is causes more inflammation which was very nice to know. So hopefully that's all it is and Bat can be feeling better very soon. :heart: He mentioned her separation anxiety and that all this stress lately could be contributing to her lack of mental stability. He also mentioned she may have had some pancreatitis which was due to her eating foods that caused the initial reaction and concern and it should be clearing up soon. After Bat's spay and this whole ordeal with the GI issues we changed her food to Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance due to her sensitivity to many foods such as grains and other unknown things. I'm hoping it will help ease her itching and such and the vet tech said it could also be contributing to the uneasy feeling being a whole new diet.

Again, if anyone has any advice I am more than open to it.

I feel so bad for everyone who has to go through constant vet visits/surgeries with their dogs. This has been extremely rough for me AND Bat. I feel like the rats handle it better.