Author Topic: Kitten Food/Feeding Regimen  (Read 1027 times)

Offline NullEntropy

Kitten Food/Feeding Regimen
« on: June 06, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
Hello! I rescued two 7-week old kittens this past Saturday, and they are hungrier than ever! I've been feeding them TikiCat wet food and Nature's Variety Raw food. They seem to be eating about 5 or 6 times a day, which seems like a lot! I've been considering adding Orijen dry food into their diet so that they have something to graze on. I know the dangers of dry food, and would never consider feeding it solely. However, feeding just the wet and raw is getting really expensive. They have their first vet appointment next week. Is it safe to feed them things like raw chicken bones? What if they lick us, do they risk passing disease of salmonella and stuff like that? I'm brand new to cats and need some guidance!

Of course I've added the obligatory kitty pics. Introducing Smokey Bear and Daisy!

Smokey Bear:

Daisy:

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Kitten Food/Feeding Regimen
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:01:45 PM »
They're adorable!  Good luck with them!

It's been a VERY long time since I've had kittens, so I don't have much to offer on feeding them, unfortunately.

Offline NullEntropy

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:41:18 PM »
They're adorable!  Good luck with them!

It's been a VERY long time since I've had kittens, so I don't have much to offer on feeding them, unfortunately.

When you did have cats/kittens, did you feed raw? It's hard to find good documentation regarding young kittens.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 04:53:22 PM »
When I had kittens, raw wasn't even on the radar.  ;)  It was a VERY long time ago.

My current cats I got as adults, and they're far too set in their ways to do the raw diet.  I have one that I think could do it, but with 3, it's hard to do something different for each one.