Author Topic: Best cat foods for ferrets?  (Read 31435 times)

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

Best cat foods for ferrets?
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:02:53 AM »
As much as I'd like to feed my ferrets actual ferret food, it is very expensive to get the healthy stuff and I just realized that the food I feed my ferrets is crap.

So I'm on a quest for a healthier food for my ferrets that I can actaully afford. Hate to sound like a cheapo but I'm only 15, Mom pays for most of it, give me a break.

So, what are some good quality cat foods out there that I can feed my ferrets? Yes, I've looked at almost every single ferret food chart and I've done all my research. I've even made a list of cat foods that seem good enough for ferrets. But for some reason, I'd like to hear it from someone else. What cat foods are okay for ferrets?

I also have a few questions about some foods.
Like Iams; Is it okay to feed ferrets?
And what about Royal Canin and Eukanuba?

Sorry for all the questions and rambling.
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not
himself find peace." - Albert Schweitzer

the kids:

Opie the beagle/jack russel
Kurt and Eddie the rats
Marilyn and Puck the ferrets

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Best cat foods for ferrets?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 02:08:32 PM »
Mine eat blue wilderness duck, instinct rabbit and wellness core kitten. All3 are grain free.

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »
Thanks. I don't know if I could do all that but hopefully I'll be able to afford something atleast somewhat healthy.
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »

I fed EVO Cat/kitten and 8-in-1 ultimate.
  http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/6668/EVO-Turkey-and-Chicken-Formula-Dry-Cat-Food

EVO has no grain and low carbs.  The 15lb bag is $47, so in bulk its only $3/lb.  You'll want to split up the bag into ziplock gallon baggies to keep the food fresh.  Freezing the baggies of food is also a good idea, but not absolutely required.  I didn't have the freezer space and stored my food baggies in a storage bin.

You can get more ideas here:
http://moredooks.herobo.com/search.php?chart=ferret
This list is not necessarily recent, but they tell you how to calculate a food's score based on the ingredients list on the bag.  You can look up on pet store and manufacturer's websites to get ingredient lists.

I encourage you to find a job or figure out a way to pet-sit or do yard chores for money to support your ferrets.  Ferrets are expensive beasts and they tend to have horrifying vet bills from chronic illnesses.  If your mom isn't too keen on paying for decent food, she may not be willing to pay for treatment when they get sick either.  If you want to do the right thing for your ferrets, you should be planning now and putting away money for their vet bills because they will need it.  I fostered two rescue ferrets with chronic illnesses at 4 years old (insulinoma and adrenal disease).

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 09:47:55 PM »
Doing a mix is important since they imprint on foods and if there are recalls or changes you want there to be something they will eat. 

I won't go into the parent issue

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »
encourage you to find a job or figure out a way to pet-sit or do yard chores for money to support your ferrets.  Ferrets are expensive beasts and they tend to have horrifying vet bills from chronic illnesses.  If your mom isn't too keen on paying for decent food, she may not be willing to pay for treatment when they get sick either.  If you want to do the right thing for your ferrets, you should be planning now and putting away money for their vet bills because they will need it.  I fostered two rescue ferrets with chronic illnesses at 4 years old (insulinoma and adrenal disease).

Thanks for the buying in bulk idea. Although it's a good idea, I'm afraid that once I got the food, I would not be able to buy it again once they ran out and I'd hate to keep switching their food a lot as I know how picky ferrets can be.

But yeah, I will try to find a job this summer and once I do, hopefully I'll be able to afford some better quality food for them.

Doing a mix is important since they imprint on foods and if there are recalls or changes you want there to be something they will eat. 

I won't go into the parent issue

Yeah, I know all about how important mixing is. Once I get the money, I'd like to get a mix of 8-in-1 Ultimate and maybe some kitten kibble like Blue Wilderness.

P.S. I applaud you for not going into the parent issue because I've heard it many of times.

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
Everything suggested is good. I feed only Blue Buffalo Wilderness right now but loved them on Innova before their big salmonella issue.

The rule of thumb I go by is no corn, no grain, high protein. You want as a high a quality a food and as few fillers as you can afford.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 09:36:34 PM »

I'm confused about the buying in bulk.  It actually saves you from switching their food up all the time.  Buying 6 months of food at a time means you won't have to change their food even if they stop selling it.  You have your supply all stored up.  If you buy small bags, you will still have to switch when the company stops making it or changes the formula.  Do what feels right to you.

I don't agree with avoiding switching up food all the time.  Keeping the same two foods is more likely to make them picky because they don't see new things until you have to suddenly switch over to something strange.  I based my kibble mix off of Ultimate and EVO and sometimes a random 3rd option, but my guys ate canned cat food, "duk soup", and raw egg and raw meat to change things up.  This exposed the weasels to beef, pork, lamb, and fish in both raw and cooked forms.  I didn't have any problems with picky eaters.  Sure there was some stuff they didn't want to eat, but on the whole, they were pretty good eaters.  I like to think the variety of food was a source of enrichment.

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 04:38:31 PM »
Well, guys I finally found one! Yesterday, I went to Petsmart and got this: www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11496996  for $9.99. Awesome!

I've forever been looking for a better food for my ferrets that I could afford. Simply Nourish isn't as great as Blue or Innova but it's certainly better than the crap I was feeding my ferrets.

Though I do plan on mixing in another food as soon as I finish weaning them off their old food.

So yay!!! No more nasty grainy poo and prolapsed rectums for my guys!   ;D

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats