Author Topic: What is This?  (Read 1258 times)

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
What is This?
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:40:57 PM »
A few days ago, I noticed a swollen area on Piper's ankle (don't know if it'll be important, but she is diabetic). It was just the black, calloused area, and I figured it was her arthritis acting up. She started licking the area, and yesterday there were two smaller raw spots below the swollen area. This morning, I noticed that one of the raw spots had a hole in the middle. After I got home from work today, we noticed that there was some kind of discharge coming out of the hole. I would think abscess, but there is no odor to the discharge. We put an ecollar on her so that she can't mess with it anymore, and flushed it with warm saline tonight. Should we get her to the vet and get her on ABs, even if there is no smell? Here are a couple pics, after we flushed it:

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
Re: What is This?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »
Well, I made a vet appointment for tomorrow morning to see what they say. I'm just too worried that with her diabetes, if it isn't infected, it'll get infected or become a bigger problem.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »
That's a good decision. Something made her start licking it- whether the wound came first or was caused by the licking. Let us know how it goes!
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:46:14 AM »
The vet said that it is most likely an ingrown hair that got infected. She took a slide and saw it was draining white blood cells. She gave me two weeks worth of clindamycin and told me to keep doing the saline flushes, and added a chlorhexidine scrub. She said if it looks like it's healing, then come back and get a refill of the clindamycin, if it's not healing, then we'll do a culture to see what it's sensitive to.

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:18:20 PM »
The area is starting to look a little better, so hopefully it'll heal easily. I have her some of her Tramadol yesterday because she seemed to be in pain on that leg. Today she is doing okay though. When I went to flush it tonight, it looks like there's a scab starting to form. Should I leave that be, or take it off and keep it open?

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »
Poor thing, how's her wound healing up?

The last time I saw a wound like that it was from a pressure sore on a young pup that was put on very restricted exercise for two weeks while a fracture set. If the vet allows for it and the wound isn't as gaping you may try some Corona Ointment, I use it on smaller wounds and I've never had a dog get sick from licking it off. If the wound is still quite deep maybe some vet wrap and sugardine (sugar and iodine mixed to form a paste) could help.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »
It seems to be healing well. We took off her ecollar, and she licked the scab off, but I don't think that was necessarily a bad thing. We're still doing the chlorhexidine wash and saline rinse. It's not nearly as deep as it was, and the swelling seems to have gone down. We have a few more days left of the original antibiotics, but the vet wanted us to come back and get two more week's worth if it was healing, so I have to call them on Monday for that.