Author Topic: Tiny kitten care help!  (Read 1167 times)

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
Tiny kitten care help!
« on: June 15, 2013, 11:00:33 AM »
My mom was at Home Depot this morning and a guy with a box came up to her. Long story short, he found this one tiny kitten (maybe a month old) near his house and didnt know what to do with it. His wife is allergic and he was going to brig the baby to the shelter if he couldn't find an alternative. I volunteer at the shelter and now is an awful time for cats there - SO many are there already.

Anyway, I now have a small kitten in my bathroom. I'm at work so I haven't seen the kitten but mom is caring for it now. I've fostered kittens before so I know a bit about them, but it was a while ago so I'm rusty! Any advice would be appreciated. I'm planning to call every feral/cat rescue and no kill in the area to hopefully find somewhere for it to go, but that probably won't happen till tomorrow or Monday. What should I do in the meantime?
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Tiny kitten care help!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:44:17 AM »
Any ideas on age?  If the little one isn't old enough to be weaned, you'll need to do KMR every couple hours, and remember to stimulate elimination. Keep it warm and cozy, and hopefully you'll find a place for it soon!

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:54:19 AM »
The guy said about 4 weeks but I'm not positive. I'll have a better idea when I get home and see him (soon hopefully! Work is winding down). Mom sent me a blurry picture and he looks old enough, at least to my untrained eye! I'll be sure to post a pic later, when I have one!
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 05:40:50 PM »
Kitty found a rescue!

I stopped into a local adoption building for a nice no-kill around here and pretty much begged for help :yelcutelaugh: They were very nice and had a foster home that he could go to really soon, so they kept him. I'm ecstatic. I thought it would be insanely difficult to find a rescue for him since everywhere is almost always full-up with cats.

Anyway, this is the little guy in the box we got him in. I was calling him Syrio:

Turns out he wasn't as "feral" as the guy thought - I took him out of the box, fed him a little bit, and he spent quite a while running around me, purring, head-butting my legs and hands, and rolling over and batting me with his paws. SUCH a sweetie!
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »
Awww, he's precious!  I'm glad you found a place for him, and that he seems like he'll be a sweet kitty for someone.  :)