Author Topic: vaccinations-Whats everyone's opinions  (Read 1914 times)

Offline danadu6

vaccinations-Whats everyone's opinions
« on: June 16, 2013, 09:24:56 PM »
How does everyone feel about yearly vaccinations for their cats?  I have read a few articles written by vets about how it is controversial to vaccinate every year. That it is not needed to revaccinate on a yearly basis especially if your cats are indoor only cats.
What is everyone's opinions?

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: vaccinations-Whats everyone's opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »
I haven't vaccinated my cats in years.  I've heard all the arguments, and I don't think yearly vaccines are a necessity. 

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:46:35 AM »
I keep everyone up to date because my ferrets do go outside on occasion and the risk of things coming in from them is too much. My cat has Feline Leukemia too so I worry about his immune system. I may only keep up with distemper on everyone next year though (bad rabies reaction for one of my ferrets).

I'll admit I haven't done much reading into the topic in regards to cats. I know that this is kind of the hot topic in cat ownership right now. I guess it depends on whether or not your cat goes outside and comes in contact with stray cats.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »
Heres what happened in our house.  :-\  As far as rabies in NC a vet can refuse to see your cat if its not current plus you can get a $250 fine. Ive had that happen already and what sucks is if you skip on a 3 year then you are back on yearly so to ensure we only have to do it at the most every 3 years I try to keep up on it.

So about the other vaccines. I hate all of them and was trying to do them every 3 years as well because I still take in rescues. All of my cats are indoors. Well my grumpy old man saw a stray cat on the porch and managed to squirm through a 6" opening in the window and bust out a screen (these are not old windows) and got in a horrible fight with the cat leaving blood all over the porch. It was from both of them. So worried, I checked to see when his last vaccines were and come to find out that he hadnt had FELV vaccine for 6 years. Our previous vet had decided to do distemper only without telling me. So the chances his titer was still good were slim (some studies say 3 years is reasonable). It was torture waiting long enough to find out. I tried to catch the stray and have it tested but it disappeared before I could catch it.

I also had another cat jump against the screen while playing and the screen busted out and the cat found itself outside in the dark. Ive also had someone not latch the door and a cat got it open.

Basically you can try to keep your cat in the house and can be successful but you just never know when someone will leave the door open or they jump out a window. I would do a 3 year schedule over nothing. You can get their titer checked and do it when its low but its expensive.  I do have one older cat that hasnt had vaccines for over 6 years. They make her so sick that it almost kills her. I figured it was the lesser of two evils. 

Offline danadu6

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 03:57:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I know my kitties are coming up on one year since vaccinations. I just worry as they had a really hard time with them last time. They both seem super sensitive and were sick from the shots. It has been a long time since I had to deal with cat vaccinations as my last cat was 18+ years old and I had stopped having him vaccinated when he was about 10-12 years old.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »
You can work it out where you only do one shot at a time. Then you can know which one is giving the problem. Also there are different manufacturers of the shots. Rabies is one that varies and there are good ones and bad ones.

Offline danadu6

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
Thanks. They did not have any problems with the rabies they got last year. They are due for that again in September. I will see what the vet has to say about the other shots. But I'm thinking I am just going to do the rabies.  :)

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 11:58:14 AM »
I would at least do a second set just to make sure they at least get some titer.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »
I just called our vet to make Abby's appointment for her Wellness screening.  My vet does a 2-year vaccine cycle.  That is fine with Abby!  She doesn't like the car ride, being in the transport cage, or getting examined by anyone.  She does love on the vet though, when she is out of the transport cage.  She loves the attention!

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »
Since mine are indoors-only and never go outside, I have opted to skip vaccines the past few years.  Sasha has kidney disease, so vaccines are contraindicated.  Monkey had to get a rabies vaccine (state law) when she went in for weight loss and was diagnosed with thyroid disease, but the vet said there was no realistic reason to do the other shots.

My advice from working in a cat rescue:  keep your cats indoors, skip vaccines.  If you absolutely must let them go outside, get their shots.  I know of very few circumstances where cats really need to be outside.  It's usually done for the owner's convenience and it dramatically shortens their life spans.

Offline trueblue

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:51:02 AM »
This is an excellent article on vaccines - http://www.catinfo.org/?link=vaccines

My cats receive initial vaccines when adopted, and then boosters one year later, and then I stop, unless I am forced to do rabies. I would never do FeLV on an indoor-cat.

Even if your cats do not receive yearly vaccines, they should still get a physical exam at least once a year. This should include routine bloodwork for older cats. It's really important to have regular cardiac and oral exams, abdominal palpation, weight check, etc.