Author Topic: Itchy Ferret: Could it be adrenal disease?  (Read 3008 times)

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

Itchy Ferret: Could it be adrenal disease?
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »
My ferret, Marilyn has been very itchy lately. Sometimes, she'll wake up all of the sudden from a deep sleep and start scratching really violently, so much that she'll sometimes fall over. My other ferret, Puck, isn't itching at all and he seems completely fine.

I just looked it up and came accross this: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=2512

Could Marilyn have the adrenal gland disease? Or could it be an allergy to something? I only use fleece as bedding and Yesterday's News in the litterbox, so I really don't know what could be causing her itchiness.

Somebody please help me... I'm freakin' out.

EDIT: Forgot to add, that she is only around a year old...It said in the article that most adrenal candidates are usually 3 or 4 years old. Though, could it still be possible for her to have it?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:17:51 PM by BlackBirdSeesYou »
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not
himself find peace." - Albert Schweitzer

the kids:

Opie the beagle/jack russel
Kurt and Eddie the rats
Marilyn and Puck the ferrets

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Itchy Ferret: Could it be adrenal disease?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless there seems to be a frequent problem with itching all the time.  As far as it being adrenal disease, the classic signs there are the hair loss, a pot belly look, and hormonal behavior. 

My ferrets would be running around like maniacs and crash land scratching an itch, then take off for another loop around the room.  They definitely itched in weird random ways, and it was always itching furiously.  Waking up to itch would not surprise me.    :dontknow:

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:16:40 AM »
Okay, that's what everybody seems to say... That it's normal. So I guess I might just be overreacting (which I tend to do a lot).

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on her for other symptoms of the disease, just in case.

Thanks.
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:34:46 AM »
Yeah, ferrets are just naturally itchy creatures. All 4 of mine have different levels of itchiness so it's probably normal. My male is much itchier than my females but it's easy to see when he's been more itchy than usual too (we had a case of fleas for 2 months).

Adrenal disease is common in mill bred ferrets but I think the more likely signs are what nakedrats said - the hair loss, etc.

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »
Thanks so much guys. I feel so much better now. :)

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats