Author Topic: Is it normal for a ferret to not be playful?  (Read 2148 times)

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

Is it normal for a ferret to not be playful?
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:29:33 PM »
Today, I was playing with Puck and Marilyn, my ferrets. I rolled their little cat bell ball to Puck (who absolutely loves them) entirely expecting him to chase after it. Instead, Marilyn (who never shows any kind of playfulness) chases after it and wrangles it down. I was totally shocked. Today was the first day that Marilyn's ever chased down a toy.

When we first got Marilyn at around 6 months, she would sometimes play wrestle with me, though when she did, it was rare.

Puck on the other hand, is a wild child. When we first got him at around 4 months in May, we were so surprised that he would actually play with the toys we got him and actually play with us.

Despite what said in the first paragraph, Marilyn's never played with any toy before. Is that normal for a ferret? To not care so much for play or toys but care more about sleeping in her beloved hammock?

If so, is there any way I can get her more interested in playing?
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not
himself find peace." - Albert Schweitzer

the kids:

Opie the beagle/jack russel
Kurt and Eddie the rats
Marilyn and Puck the ferrets

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Is it normal for a ferret to not be playful?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »
Yup! Perfectly normal!

All of my ferrets have very very different personalities. It's just like people. Some of  us would rather read a book while others want to be out hiking all day. It could be that she's still adjusting to you too. Tek, our second female, has taken since last July when we got her, to really open up and play with us. She was seperated from her brothers and it took her even a few weeks to play with our male.

Keep encouraging the play though and she might get into it! Sometimes it just takes finding that one special toy that opens up the world of playing to them.