Author Topic: just rescued a rabbit - need advice and guidance please.  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Gypsyrags

• The road to my heart is paved with paws...
just rescued a rabbit - need advice and guidance please.
« on: June 21, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »
Hi , so long story short about 3 !/2 weeks ago a neighbor from the building behind us threw out a cage. still filled with a entire setup for what I thought at the time to be a guinea pig. ( it was a 55 gal tank) ::) so the next day lo and behold my family and other neighbors start seeing a younger pure black mini rex hopping around the parking lots. :doh:
so for the last three weeks i've been trying to catch him. now on the night of the 19th its the morn of the 21st now. we caught him.  unfortunately the heat is the spot I had set up for him for quarantine, was not alright.
so he is living in my closet in a pre bought rabbit cage.
now here is my issues with this situation.
I have no experience with rabbits I've only had rats.
when brought to the vet yesterday they treated him for ticks and I think he might have mites due to a bald patch on his neck
I have three cats and keeping them safely separated until I know he is fine is a bit much.

sorry not so short I am wondering though. how do i clean my home for mites , ticks etc. and make sure that my cats do not become infected. I am willing to give him a home if I can learn enough my hubby has wanted rabbits his whole life and i got a little attached while trying to build enough trust with him to catch him.
any advice is appreciated I will also post this in the cat section for clues.
In rescuing animals I've lost my mind, but found my soul.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
Re: just rescued a rabbit - need advice and guidance please.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »

Revolution treats and prevents ticks and mites.  I'd get a dose for your kitties to avoid problems with buggies.

Congrats on the new bun. :)

Offline Gypsyrags

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »
      Thanks so much everyone is now treated with revolution & we did a deep clean of the apartment. we treated both the rabbit and the cats. Took him to the vet an it is a purebred mini rex, an he is  9-11 months old. plus a fully intact male. also when we took him in he weighed in at 3.2lbs. I looked up the breed they said that he should be 4.4-4.5lbs. he was and he seems to be about 1.4lbs underweight.

As of right now we have him in my old rats cage which is a marchioro Tommy k 72 the dimensions are; 28 1/2 x 171/2 x 16 or so.  I have a salt lick,water and food bowls, and a kitten size litter box filled with hay and carefresh bedding . i also put the food bowl and salt lick in an over the litter box.

I realize its all pretty small, I do have a larger cage but want to try to litter train him first. its going pretty well , but earlier I tried putting him in the larger cage and it resulted in him just pooping and peeing everywhere but the box. :doh: so I put him back into the smaller one until that is fully in his head.  :poke: any suggestions about putting him into a larger cage and keeping up his box habits. the larger cage is a marchioro 102 which has the dimensions of 39.5 x 21 x 18.
ill ad pics as soon as i can get some.

Offline Gypsyrags

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
Hi, all so its been a few month's now since we've rescued peter.
He is now neutered and a full Fl-etched couch potato with our three cats.
we've also fully litter box trained him on wood-chips with a hay rack over-top,
I have also got food and water bowls in there for him. I'm working on getting him used to a water bottle slowly as he is way to messy to keep a water bowl. while peters cage is now a kennel that is 36x24x30 in dimensions. 
for entertainment I gave him a hanging bird toy and some baby keys for when he is in the crate and he gets plenty of free time during the day,he gets to be out with me during the day for about 4-5 hours so i think hes pretty content

I am open to any suggestions as to making his life better. we are currently trying to buy a home and hope that we can find a 4 season porch that can become his "bedroom"